Insights and events
In court, Mike Maddigan is tough — but he also is practical and solution-oriented. Over the years, Mike has led teams that have obtained judgments successfully defending clients against claims totaling billions of dollars. He also has negotiated creative and innovative settlements to avoid and resolve litigation. By using the right tool at the right time, Mike helps clients solve problems and address risks in ways that accomplish their business objectives.
An experienced and accomplished litigator, Mike leads the Los Angeles office Litigation Practice Group. He has been at the forefront of significant commercial and class action litigation involving California’s Unfair Competition Law, breach of contract, the False Claims Act (FCA), privacy and data breaches, insurance, and antitrust for established and emerging companies across the healthcare, entertainment, technology, and insurance industries.
Mike has been recognized by a variety of industry publications, including Chambers USA (California, Healthcare), which reports that clients value his “superior intellect” and “practical and pragmatic approach,” and Legal 500 Advice to insurers and Healthcare; Health service providers.
Mike also is a thought leader in the healthcare and privacy areas. He is the co-author of Health Care Reform: Law and Practice, a publication that provides guidance on the Affordable Care Act's impact on health plans, employers, and individuals. He is also co-author and editor of Medical Records Privacy Under HIPAA. Mike speaks and writes regularly on professional issues including the FCA, emerging issues in privacy law, and new developments in insurance and antitrust law.
Mike is also active in the Los Angeles legal community. He served as president of the Association of Business Trial Lawyers, President of the board of directors of the Legal Aid Foundation of Los Angeles, President of the Irish-American Bar Association, and as a member of the board of governors of the Inner City Law Center.
*Matter handled prior to joining Hogan Lovells.
- J.D., University of California, Berkeley School of Law, 1992
- B.S.F.S., Georgetown University, School of Foreign Service, cum laude, 1989
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, Central District of California
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- Member, American Health Lawyers Association
- Board of Directors, Inner City Law Center
- Board of Directors, Los Angeles Irish American Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Los Angeles Legal Aid Foundation
- Member, American Bar Association, Health Law Section
- Member, Association of Business Trial Lawyers (President 2010-2011, Vice President 2009-2010, Treasurer 2008-2009, Secretary 2007-2008)
- Member, Los Angeles County Bar Association, Healthcare Law Section