IFLR Americas Awards recognize Hogan Lovells for work on 'Project Finance Deal of the Year'
Global law firm Hogan Lovells is pleased to announce that a deal the firm advised on has been named the “Project Finance Deal of the Year” in the IFLR Americas Awards 2022. The winners were announced during a ceremony held 19 May in New York.
Hogan Lovells represented the Design-Build Joint Venture on the Fargo-Moorhead Metropolitan Area Flood Risk Management PPP. The editors note that the winning deal “combines an innovative financing structure with a series of significant precedents in the US PPP market, as well as providing a template for dealmakers working on projects dedicated to flood diversion, an emerging tactic in the fight against the effects of climate change.”
The editors further note that the project is “the first flood protection PPP in the US, and imaginatively combined tax-exempt private activity bonds with a private placement for long-term debt financing.” Read more on the project at IFLR.
Hogan Lovells’ Jorge Diaz-Silveira, who serves as Practice Area Leader (Americas) of the Infrastructure, Energy, Resources and Projects Group and Miami Office Managing Partner, led the firm’s work on the project. He was assisted by
associate Ernesto Sanz, attorney Mark Reeves, international consultant Pedro Martinez, and former Hogan Lovells counsel Jordan Chase.
In addition to the project finance category, the firm advised on a number of deals that were shortlisted in the following categories with the deal team leads listed for each.
- Debt and Equity-linked Deal of the Year: Montes de María project bond – partner Dave Locascio (New York)
- Equity Deal of the Year:
- Caixa Seguridade IPO – São Paulo Office Managing Partner Isabel Costa Carvalho, partner Sina Hekmat (New York), and counsel David Contreiras Tyler (New York/São Paulo)
- Kyndryl spin-off listing – Global Head of M&A Bill Curtin and partners Will Yavinsky, (both Washington, D.C.), Jonathan Russell (London), Lu Zhou (Beijing), Tobias Kahnert (Munich), and counsel Aafke Pronk (Amsterdam/New York)
- Restructuring Deal of the Year:
- SpeedCast International – partners David Simonds (Los Angeles), Ron Silverman and John Beck (both New York)
- Valaris – partners Robert Ripin and Ron Silverman (both New York)
The awards cap months of research into the Americas legal market, drawing on written submissions and in-depth interviews with clients and counsel to reveal the most legally innovative cross-border deals from across the Americas in 2021, and the teams and individuals who made them happen.