Insights and events
For nearly five decades, Joe Hassett has tried jury and non-jury cases in all types of significant matters. He has argued in appellate courts all over the country as well as in the U.S. Supreme Court.
Joe has a deep understanding of corporate and securities matters. He has successfully represented targets and investment bankers in hostile takeover attempts, boards of directors in suits challenging their business judgment, and investment advisory and stock brokerage firms in suits by customers and governmental authorities.
He has advised the outside directors of a major airline in connection with its bankruptcy and assisted boards in developing procedures for improving corporate governance and avoiding litigation. He has also represented companies and individuals in connection with investigations by the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission and federal grand juries.
- Ph.D., University College Dublin, 1985
- M.A., University College Dublin, 1981
- LL.B., Harvard Law School, cum laude, 1967
- B.A., Canisius College, summa cum laude, 1964
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eighth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Seventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Tax Court