Insights and events
Peter Walsh is a seasoned problem solver with the unique blend of experience as a public-company executive and government official with significant trial experience and a proven ability to deliver practical solutions to clients.
Prior to re-joining Hogan Lovells in 2015 as a partner focusing on investigations, class actions, health care, and other complex litigation, Peter served as Chief of Litigation and Government Investigations and Senior Deputy General Counsel of UnitedHealth Group (UHG). He handled the most significant legal matters for this Fortune 10 company, including the largest stock-option backdating investigation in U.S. history, congressional and government investigations, and hundreds of cases ranging from regulatory enforcement proceedings to complex securities and healthcare class actions.
At UHG, Peter saw first-hand the challenges that companies confront each day and the pressures in-house counsel face managing a heavy and diverse docket. He recognizes the importance of delivering business-oriented, pragmatic solutions to management that account not only for legal risk, but the company's operational priorities and the expectations of shareholders, customers, and other constituencies. Collaborating with business leaders, government affairs, public relations, and the in-house team, Peter navigated a variety of crises with an eye towards minimizing disruption and reputational impact, while balancing risk with the goals of the business. And as the lawyer responsible for managing outside counsel relationships, Peter appreciates the value of cost-efficient and actionable legal advice delivered by counsel familiar with the company's operations and mission.
Prior to UHG, Peter was a federal prosecutor in Denver, where he obtained convictions in high-profile securities, tax, accounting, and other economic-crimes investigations and jury trials. He currently serves as an Adjunct Professor of Trial Practice at the University of Minnesota Law School.
- J.D., Harvard Law School, cum laude, 1997
- B.A., Middlebury College, magna cum laude, 1992
- American Arbitration Association, Board Member, Healthcare Dispute Resolution Advisory Council, 2012-present
- American Arbitration Association, Member, Counsel of the American Arbitration Association, 2020
- Colorado State Land Board, Commissioner, 2006-2007
- House of Charity, Board Member, 2008-2014
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, Board Member, The Fund for Legal Aid, 2014-present
- Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid, Vice Chairman, The Fund for Legal Aid, 2018-2020
- Adjunct Professor of Trial Practice, University of Minnesota Law School, 2018-present