Mergers and Acquisitions
, Hong Kong
, Washington D.C.
, Northern Virginia
, New York
Hogan Lovells has a team of more than 400 M&A lawyers who regularly handle M&A transactions domestically and across the globe, ranging from small/middle market transactions to multibillion dollar cross-border deals. In the past four years, our lawyers have advised on more than 1,000 transactions in a wide variety of industries, with an aggregate value in excess of US$580 billion. The strength of our platform and the extensive scale of our international M&A capability has resulted in Hogan Lovells being ranked among the leading law firms for M&A, including top 15 rankings for global completed M&A in 2011 from Bloomberg, Mergermarket, and Thomson Reuters.
We are present in substantially all of the world's major financial hubs and other areas, with critical mass in Europe and the United States, along with strong Asia and Middle East practices and an established presence in Latin America. This global presence, together with Hogan Lovells' one-team approach, allows us to structure, negotiate, and implement highly complex domestic and cross-border transactions on behalf of our clients.
Our M&A team is supported on transactions throughout the world by lawyers who focus on tax, antitrust, competition, employee benefits, finance, securities, intellectual property, pensions, dispute resolution, regulatory matters, environmental, real estate, and other support areas.
We advise clients on transactions in a variety of industries, and have particular experience in handling M&A transactions for companies in regulated industries where the intersection of business and government requires an integrated strategy for handling the many issues that arise in such transactions. Our M&A experience, coupled with deep industry knowledge, enables us to advise on a wide variety of transactions and to provide comprehensive and innovative solutions to all our clients.
- Ranked "The Elite for Corporate/M&A, Nationwide" by Chambers USA, 2012
- "[Hogan Lovells] has true international reach and its influence in the corporate and M&A sphere is worthy of recognition...it makes significant waves with its excellent client care and depth of business understanding." Chambers UK, 2010
- Ranked for M&A: Large Deals ($1bn-5bn) by Legal 500 US, 2012
- Ranked 9th by volume in Europe for announced deals by Bloomberg, 2011
- Ranked 6th by volume and 4th by value in the UK for announced deals by Bloomberg, 2011
- Ranked 4th by volume in Italy for announced deals by Bloomberg, 2011
- Ranked 3rd by volume in Hong Kong for announced deals by Bloomberg, 2011
- Leading firm for "Corporate M&A" in China, Hong Kong, Japan, and Vietnam by Asia Pacific Legal 500, 2008-2011.
- "Now that Hogan & Hartson and Lovells have merged, it is a strong global firm that others will have a difficult time competing with for cross-border transactions," (2011). Ranked Tier 1 for Corporate/M&A in multiple U.S. cities by Chambers USA, 2006-2012.
- "They are a rarity in appreciating how to work within business and commercial frameworks." Chambers UK, 2011
- [Hogan Lovells'] M&A team is considered "strong from top to bottom." [The team's] "legal advice and practical experience [is] second to none." Legal 500 UK, 2010
- Winner of M&A Deal of the Year for our work advising Ford Motor Company on its US$1.8bn sale of Volvo Car Corporation to Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, Asia Legal Business China Law Awards, 2011
- Winner of M&A Deal of the Year for our work advising on the Morgan Stanley-Mitsubishi UFG Joint Venture, Asia Legal Business Japan Law Awards, 2011
- Winner of multiple awards at the 2010 M&A Advisor Awards for our work advising Ford Motor Company on its US$1.8bn sale of Volvo Car Corporation to Zhejiang Geely Holding Group, including Cross-Border Deal of the Year (Over $1bn), Corporate/Strategic Acquisition of the Year (Over $750m), and Industrial Manufacturing/Distribution Deal of the Year (Over $100m)
- Winner of seven Deal of the Year awards and two Honorable Mentions at the Asian-MENA Counsel Deals of the Year, 2010, including:
- advising Ford Motor Company on its US$1.8bn sale of Volvo Car Corporation to Zhejiang Geely Holding Group (Deal of the Year)
- Shortlisted as M&A Team of the Year and M&A Deal of the Year for our work advising Northumbrian Water on its takeover by Cheung Kong Infrastructure Holdings Limited for £4.7bn at the IFLR Europe Awards, 2012
- Shortlisted as M&A Team of the Year for Germany, JUVE Awards, 2009 and 2010