, Washington, D.C.
Our Intellectual Property group helps drive your business growth by protecting and leveraging your ideas and innovations, your brand, and your creative works. With more than 390 lawyers, specialists, and paralegals worldwide, we combine a strategic, global outlook with local knowledge and a keen understanding of the technological and business factors involved in this area of law. Hogan Lovells is one of the few truly global intellectual property law firms as recognized by legal directories.
We advise companies of all sizes and in virtually all industries across the life cycle of IP assets, from development to commercialization and licensing through to maturity. We also have a deep understanding of and advise on a broad range of issues in closely related areas such as e-commerce, data protection, IT contracts, and all types of media work.
We handle IP litigation in U.S. and European courts, the International Trade Commission, and other forums throughout the world: and handle the IP and technology law aspects of major corporate and commercial transactions.
Many of our lawyers have scientific backgrounds and hold advanced degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering, biochemistry, computer science, or physics, helping us to fully understand the scientific principles underlying products and processes. With our worldwide footprint and broad knowledge, we stand ready to address your intellectual property issues wherever they arise.
Awards and rankings
- Europe – Domain Names / Internet Firm of the Year: Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards 2014
- Intellectual Property Law firm of the Year: Le Monde du Droit Awards 2014
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property globally, Chambers Global 2014
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property Asia Pacific-wide, Chambers Asia Pacific 2014
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property Europe-wide, Chambers Europe 2014
- Intellectual Property Law Firm of the Year - Italy: Top Legal Awards 2013
- OHIM Work IP Firm of the Year: Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2013
- International IP Law Firm of the Year, Chambers China Awards for Excellence, 2013
- Intellectual Property: China Business Law Award, 2013
- Large Tier – IP Law Firm of the Year in Vietnam, Global Law Experts, 2013
- Global IP Firm of the Year, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2012
- European Trade Mark Firm of the Year, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2012
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property, Asian Legal Business, 2012
- Hong Kong Trademark Firm of the Year, Asia IP, 2012
- Patent Firm of the year, Asia IP Magazine 2011
- Awards for UK - Contentious Trade Marks, Germany - Trade Mark Prosecution, and Europe - Internet and Domain Names, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards 2011
- Highly recommended for Intellectual Property in China & Hongkong, France Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands and Russia, IAM Licensing 250 2012
False Advertising and Unfair Competition
Internet and E-Commerce
IP in Commercial Transactions
IP Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Licensing and Technology Transfer
Media Litigation and Counseling
Privacy and Data Protection
Strategic Counseling and Portfolio Development
Trade Secrets and Confidential Know-How
Trademarks and Brands
Visit Hogan Lovells' Intellectual Property know-how
resource, LimeGreen IP
Hogan Lovells, UC Hastings College of the Law, and the Berkeley Center for Law and Technology recently co-hosted the inaugural Law in the Global Marketplace — a one-day event in California, featuring prominent judges, in-house counsel, and leading scholars to address the global issues of intellectual property law. The event brought together noteworthy judicial officials including the Honorable Sung-Mei Hsiung, Chief Judge Randall Rader, and other leaders from the IP community. Learn more about the program or download the CLE materials.
Law in the Global Marketplace