, San Francisco
, Washington, D.C.
, New York
Our Intellectual Property group helps drive your business growth by protecting and leveraging your ideas and innovations, your brand, and your creative works. With more than 390 lawyers, specialists, and paralegals worldwide, we combine a strategic, global outlook with local knowledge and a keen understanding of the technological and business factors involved in this area of law. Hogan Lovells is one of the few truly global intellectual property law firms as recognized by legal directories.
We advise companies of all sizes and in virtually all industries across the life cycle of IP assets, from development to commercialization and licensing through to maturity. We also have a deep understanding of and advise on a broad range of issues in closely related areas such as e-commerce, data protection, IT contracts, and all types of media work.
We handle IP litigation in U.S. and European courts, the International Trade Commission, and other forums throughout the world: and handle the IP and technology law aspects of major corporate and commercial transactions.
Many of our lawyers have scientific backgrounds and hold advanced degrees in electrical and mechanical engineering, biochemistry, computer science, or physics, helping us to fully understand the scientific principles underlying products and processes. With our worldwide footprint and broad knowledge, we stand ready to address your intellectual property issues wherever they arise.
Awards and rankings
Top-tier ranking for intellectual property globally, Chambers Global
- Global IP Firm of the Year, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2012
- European Trade Mark Firm of the Year, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2012
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property, Asian Legal Business, 2012
- Patent Firm of the year, Asia IP Magazine 2011
- Awards for UK - Contentious Trade Marks, Germany - Trade Mark Prosecution, and Europe - Internet and Domain Names, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards 2011
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property in Europe, Chambers Global Europe-wide 2011
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property in Asia, Chambers Global Asia-Pacific 2011
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property in China (Foreign Firms), Japan (Foreign Firms), and Vietnam (Foreign Firms), Chambers Asia-Pacific 2011
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property Europe wide, Germany, Italy and Russia, highly ranked in France and the Netherlands Chambers Europe 2011
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property in Germany, France and Russia, Legal 500 EMEA 2011
- Top-tier ranking for intellectual property in China, Hong Kong, Japan and Vietnam, Legal 500 Asia-Pacific 2011
- Top-tier ranking for Trademark and Design Law, Unfair Competition Law and Patent Law in Germany JUVE 2011
- Highly recommended for Intellectual Property in China & Hongkong, France Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands and Russia, IAM Licensing 250 2012
- Leading IP practice in the UK, Chambers UK 2012
- Leading IP practices in Colorado and Northern Virginia, Chambers USA 2011
Data Protection and Information Management
False Advertising and Unfair Competition
Internet and E-Commerce
IP in Commercial Transactions
IP Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
Licensing and Technology Transfer
Media Litigation and Counseling
Strategic Counseling and Portfolio Development
Trade Secrets and Confidential Know-How
Trademarks and Brands