Insights and events
A seasoned trial lawyer for more than 40 years, David Dunn has tried cases, conducted arbitrations and argued appeals before federal and state appellate courts. Clients including financial institutions, telecommunications, and media enterprises turn to David to handle complex litigation matters as well as to negotiate complex transactions, proactively limiting potential risk associated with them.
David advises clients in commercial litigation, including international, complex financial and banking matters, and employment litigation. David regularly represents international clients in litigation in United States courts as well as U.S.-based clients in litigation in tribunals around the world. David has represented commercial clients in successfully enforcing judgments far from the originating forum. He has acted for and against sovereigns in contractual matters that include complex commercial contracts, licensing disputes, and large scale debt defaults. In the financial services area, David represents financial institutions in disputes arising from complex financing transactions, lender liability claims of customers, unfair trade practice claims, and regulatory compliance issues.
In the employment area, David advises employers on issues including the negotiation of and litigation concerning employment agreements for executives and highly skilled employees, compliance with federal and state employment legislation, including wage and hour laws, and employment discrimination matters. He has successfully represented clients in defending class action claims in consumer and employment cases, in federal and state courts.
Representation of post-Bankruptcy Trustees in pursuing claims recovery and negotiating and litigating claim resolution.
Represented a major mining company in a litigation over breach of a mineral supply agreement.
Represented state energy companies in arbitration disputes arising from breaches of commercial agreements.
Representation of the Vatican Library in defeating claims of licensees and sublicensees asserting claims of contract breach and fraud.
Representation of various residential mortgage lenders in enforcing mortgage foreclosure rights and defeating lender liability claims.
Successfully represented telecommunications companies in various licensing and commercial disputes and in wage and hour class action cases.
- J.D., Cornell Law School, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1978
- B.S., Cornell University, 1974
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Western District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Former Subcommittee Chairman, Committee on the Development of Law under the National Labor Relations Act, American Bar Association, 1984-1997