+31 20 55 33 600
+31 20 55 33 777
van der Velden
Senior Associate, Amsterdam
Ruud van der Velden specializes in all aspects of intellectual property law, with an emphasis on patent law. Ruud has been involved in many national and international disputes concerning, amongst other things, pharmaceuticals, medical devices, oil services and electronics. Stand-out work includes obtaining a cross-border injunction in a patent case shortly after a European Court of Justice decision was rendered which was generally believed to have ended the cross-border practice.
Ruud graduated with honors from Tilburg University in civil law and information technology law on a thesis on patentability of software in 2004. He was admitted to the Bar in 2005. In 2008, he won the Gouden Zandloper award for 'Best Young Lawyer' in the Netherlands. In 2011, he received the VIE award from the Dutch AIPPI group for his article on obtaining evidence of patent infringement.
- Acting for OrbusNeich in patent infringement proceedings initiated by Boston Scientific in relation to rapid exchange catheters.
- Acting for EMGS in patent validity proceedings initiated by Schlumberger in relation to methods for identifying hydrocarbon reservoirs.
- Acting for Du Pont in proceedings initiated by Actavis in relation to the first paediatric SPC extension in the Netherlands.
- Acting for Medinol in patent infringement proceedings against Abbott in relation to a stent design.
- Acting for Merck in patent infringement proceedings against generic companies in relation to a dosage regimen.
- Acting for SMT in patent infringement proceedings initiated by Angiotech in relation to a drug-eluting stent.
- Acting for Bettacare in patent infringement proceedings against H3 in relation to a safety gate.
Hogan Lovells Publications
15 October 2011
"Intellectual Property Newsletter - October 2011." IP Alert, Hogan Lovells
"The Position of the Patentee in Need of Evidence (De Positie van de Octrooihouder in Bewijsnood).", Bulletin Industriële Eigendom
"Cross-Border Injunctions in Patent Proceedings in the Netherlands.", ExecutiveView
"Legal Remedies in Intellectual Property Cases in the Netherlands.", ExecutiveView
"Product-by-process claims: Contrasting United States and Europe.", New York Law Journal
"A Pan-European Guide to Obtaining Evidence.", ManagingIP