+31 20 55 33 600
+31 20 55 33 777
van der Velden
Senior Associate, Amsterdam
Ruud van der Velden specializes in all aspects of intellectual property law, with an emphasis on patent law. Ruud also has specific expertise in procedural matters, such as cross-border injunctions and evidentiary seizures.
Ruud has extensive experience in patent litigation in various fields of technology, including pharmaceuticals, medical devices, oil services, mechanical engineering and electronics. Stand-out work includes obtaining a cross-border injunction in a patent case shortly after a European Court of Justice decision was rendered which was generally believed to have ended the cross-border practice. He also obtained an important Court of Appeal judgment allowing access to evidence seized in the Netherlands for use in infringement proceedings abroad.
In addition to his litigation work, Ruud also advises on patent strategy, patent prosecution and enforcement, as well as transactional matters.
Ruud graduated with honors from Tilburg University in 2004 and was admitted to the Bar in 2005. In 2008, he won the Gouden Zandloper award for 'Best Young Lawyer' in the Netherlands. In 2011, he received the VIE award from the Dutch AIPPI group for his article on obtaining evidence of patent infringement.
- Acting for HTC in patent infringement proceedings initiated by Nokia in relation to mobile phones.
- Acting for Rhodia in cross-border evidence collection proceedings against Neo Performance Materials and a logistical service provider in relation to rare earth formulations.
- Acting for OrbusNeich in patent infringement proceedings initiated by Boston Scientific in relation to rapid exchange catheters.
- Acting for Statoil spin-off EMGS in patent validity proceedings initiated by Schlumberger in relation to methods for identifying hydrocarbon reservoirs.
- Acting for Du Pont in proceedings initiated by Actavis in relation to the first paediatric SPC extension in the Netherlands.
- Acting for Medinol in patent infringement proceedings against Abbott in relation to a stent design.
- Acting for Merck in various patent infringement proceedings against generic companies in relation to various medicinal products.
Hogan Lovells Publications
"Intellectual Property Newsletter - December 2013." IP Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Intellectual Property Quarterly Newsletter." Intellectual Property Alert, Hogan Lovells
15 October 2011
"Intellectual Property Newsletter - October 2011." IP Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Supreme Court allows evidentiary seizure in non-IP cases (original title in Dutch: Hoge Raad staat bewijsbeslag in niet-IE-zaken toe).", Legal journal (Beslag en Executie in de Rechtspraktijk)
"The Position of the Patentee in Need of Evidence (De Positie van de Octrooihouder in Bewijsnood).", Bulletin Industriële Eigendom
"Cross-Border Injunctions in Patent Proceedings in the Netherlands.", ExecutiveView
"Legal Remedies in Intellectual Property Cases in the Netherlands.", ExecutiveView
"Product-by-process claims: Contrasting United States and Europe.", New York Law Journal
"A Pan-European Guide to Obtaining Evidence.", ManagingIP