Hogan Lovells' International Arbitration practice brings extensive experience to the resolution of complex, high-value international business disputes through commercial or investment treaty arbitration.
We are familiar with the major arbitration tribunals of the world, represent a wide variety of clients, and understand parties and witnesses from various legal and commercial cultures. With access to the most sophisticated technology, our multilingual and multicultural lawyers operate from offices all over the world, including in Caracas, Dubai, Dusseldorf, Frankfurt, Hanoi, Hong Kong, London, Madrid, Miami, Milan, Moscow, Munich, New York, Paris, Singapore, and Washington DC.
Our global practice also enables us to deliver first class advice to our clients across a broad range of industries, including energy and natural resources, engineering and construction, finance, manufacturing and retail, oil and gas, telecommunications, and transportation.
Our experience embraces the most important tribunals and institutions in the world, including:
- International Court of Arbitration of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC)
- International Centre for Settlement of Investment Disputes (ICSID)
- London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA)
- American Arbitration Association (AAA)
- International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR)
- Iran-U.S. Claims Tribunal
- Singapore International Arbitration Centre (SIAC)
- Dubai International Financial Centre (DIFC)
- Deutsche Institution für Schiedsgerichtsbarkeit e.V. (DIS)
- Cairo Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration
- China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC)
- Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC)
- Vietnam International Arbitration Centre (VIAC)
- Stockholm Arbitration Institute
- Ad hoc arbitrations under United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) Rules and under a variety of national legal systems.
In addition to representing clients in commercial disputes, we frequently advise on the protections afforded by bilateral and multilateral investment treaties and have acted in a number of investment treaty claims (including before ICSID). One such claim was the first to allege breaches of both the Energy Charter Treaty and a bilateral investment treaty.
Awards and Rankings:
- Ranked sixth, Global Arbitration Review "GAR30", 2011
- Legal 500: "excellent response time, profound business knowledge, in-depth analysis and thorough understanding of the client's business," 2010
- Chambers Europe: “It has a broad presence in Europe and a good platform to take the practice further,” 2011
- Chambers Latin America: "The team has an extraordinary ability to communicate bilingually in complex strategic matters," 2011
- Ranked in Chambers Global, 2011
- Ranked in Chambers UK, 2012
- Ranked in Chambers USA, 2011
- Ranked in Chambers Latin America, 2012
- Member of the International Chamber of Commerce Committee to Latin America
- Member of the Board of Directors, Miami International Arbitration Society
- Member of the International Chamber of Commerce Task Force on the Revision of the ICC Rules of Arbitration
- Member of the ICC Commission on E-Disclosure in arbitration.
Hogan Lovells International Arbitration practice is ranked 10th in GAR30 2013. A client describes the practice as follows: "What distinguishes the team is its consistency and reliability in terms of technical quality, ability to get to grips with the commercial context, and the ease of their working relationship with other internal and external lawyers."