+1 202 637 5491
+1 202 637 5910
Partner, Washington, D.C.
Cate Stetson is the co-Director of our nationally acclaimed Appellate practice group. With dozens of appellate arguments to her name, Cate has been recognized by The American Lawyer magazine (in 2011) as one of the top 45 women under 45 among AmLaw 200 firms; by The American Lawyer magazine (in 2007) as one of the "Fab Fifty" litigators under 45 in the nation; and by the National Law Journal (in 2009) and Washingtonian magazine (in 2006) as one of Washington's "Top 40 Lawyers Under 40." She has been described to the press as a "superb" advocate and "one of the finest lawyers who appears" in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, and commended for her "brilliance of mind and ability to grasp complicated technical matters."
Cate has argued in the U.S. Supreme Court, in most of the federal courts of appeals, and in multiple state appellate courts. She has filed dozens of petition- and merits-stage briefs in the U.S. Supreme Court and has briefed hundreds of matters on appeal. Her experience spans appeals presenting questions of administrative law and procedure, antitrust law, the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the Employee Retirement Income Security Act (ERISA), the False Claims Act (FCA), class certification, civil procedure, and constitutional, contract, copyright, employment, energy, environmental, food and drug, healthcare, insurance, patent, telecommunications, and tort law.
Before joining our legal practice, Cate served as a judicial clerk to The Honorable Stanley S. Harris of the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia and The Honorable David S. Tatel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit.
- Briefed and argued a seminal civil procedure case in the U.S. Supreme Court.
- On behalf of numerous industry groups, briefed and argued two D.C. Circuit challenges to Environmental Protection Agency ethanol regulations.
- On behalf of a major pharmaceuticals client, briefed and argued a D.C. Circuit appeal defending a judgment notwithstanding the verdict in an employment case presenting unsettled issues of law, and secured a unanimous affirmance.
- Briefed and argued a high-profile copyright issue of first impression for a performing-rights organization in the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit.
- On behalf of several nuclear utilities, argued and won multiple precedent-setting damages appeals in the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit arising from the federal government's breach of its contract to dispose of utilities' spent nuclear fuel.
- On behalf of a major energy company, briefed and argued a complex environmental and energy issue in the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit.
- Briefed and argued a significant appeal presenting both statutory and constitutional issues on behalf of an Arizona city challenging a federal land-into-trust application.
- On behalf of a computer software and services company, handled a complex Federal Circuit patent infringement appeal involving microprocessor parallel processing architecture.
- Argued and won, before a divided eleven-judge court, a high-profile Ninth Circuit en banc case involving issues of land use and religious rights, and subsequently defeated a petition for certiorari.
- Successfully sought discretionary review of, argued, and won an important insurance coverage issue for a national client at the highest court of appeals in New York State.
- Handled a successful appeal in the Eleventh Circuit defending a managed care company against ERISA claims brought by a state attorney general.
- Handled a successful appeal in the D.C Circuit involving the treatment of remedies for a pipeline's Natural Gas Act violations.
- Successfully defended against a Supreme Court petition for certiorari brought by the United States Solicitor General in a multibillion-dollar Medicare matter.
- Handled an appeal in the Seventh Circuit in a complex electric ratemaking matter.
- Briefed, argued, and won a major appeal in the Maryland state courts for a national insurance company.
- Represented an energy company in a successful D.C. Circuit challenge to an agency's decision placing onerous conditions on a proposed merger.
- Handled a successful appeal in the D.C. Circuit on behalf of a national trade association challenging an agency's authority to issue certain historic-preservation regulations.
- On behalf of two national business entities, argued an appeal in the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals challenging an agency denial of a petition under the Information Quality Act as a violation of the Administrative Procedure Act.
- Argued on behalf of a water filtration company a patent infringement appeal involving a doctrine-of-equivalents issue.
- Handled a Second Circuit appeal on behalf of a pharmaceutical company sued by a consumer for allegedly negligently permitting counterfeit versions of its products to enter the prescription drug market.
- Handled, on behalf of a national nonprofit association, a successful appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit challenging agency regulations that failed to comport with the requirements of the National Environmental Policy Act.
- On behalf of several national corporations and federations of business entities, filed multiple amicus briefs in the Supreme Court on matters including federal preemption, patent, antitrust, and employment law.
Hogan Lovells Publications
17 April 2013
"Hogan Lovells successfully defends ERISA plans' rights to full reimbursement on behalf of client US Airways." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
27 March 2013
"Supreme Court issues significant class certification ruling in antitrust case." Class Action Alert, Hogan Lovells
19 March 2013
"Court unanimously rules for class action defendant in important CAFA case: The Standard Fire Insurance Co. v. Knowles, No. 11-1450." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
01 March 2013
"Supreme Court issues major securities class action ruling." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
29 January 2013
"D.C. Circuit declares NLRB recess appointees unconstitutional, potentially invalidating major NLRB decisions from 2012." Employment Alert, Hogan Lovells
28 November 2012
"In US Airways, Inc. v. McCutchen, Hogan Lovells argues to the Supreme Court that an ERISA plan's reimbursement provision must be enforced according to its terms." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
28 June 2012
"Supreme Court upholds Affordable Care Act, but limits its Medicaid expansion; questions linger for federal power going forward." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
28 June 2012
"Supreme Court upholds Affordable Care Act in its entirety: individual mandate constitutional as a tax, Medicaid expansion approved of, but limited." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
28 June 2012
"U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
21 June 2012
"Supreme Court defines scope of FLSA’s overtime compensation requirement, declines to extend Auer deference to agency regulatory interpretation." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Alert, Hogan Lovells
23 March 2012
"Supreme Court Hears Arguments on Health Reform." Health Care Alert, Hogan Lovells
14 February 2012
"Ninth Circuit rejects “hard look,” “scientific integrity” claims in prominent NEPA case; hands victory to Hogan Lovells client." Environment Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Class Actions Bulletin – October 2011." Class Actions Bulletin, Hogan Lovells
30 March 2011
"Dukes v. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., Supreme Court Oral Argument Summary." Litigation Alert
06 December 2010
"Dukes V. Wal-Mart Stores, Inc., certiorari granted." Litigation Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Class Actions Bulletin - July 2010." Class Actions Bulletin, Hogan Lovells
07 July 2010
"The Supreme Court Limits Applicability of Honest-Services Fraud Statute to Bribery and Kickback Schemes." Litigation and White Collar Alert, Hogan Lovells
27 April 2010
"Clinical Trials and Alien Tort Statute Jurisdiction." Pharmaceutical and Biotechnology Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
09 April 2010
"Federal Appeals Court Sides With Comcast In “Net Neutrality” Case, Throws Aspects of Internet Regulation and National Broadband Plan Into Question." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
28 January 2010
"Understanding Citizens United." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
20 July 2007
"Supreme Court Rules on Obviousness Standard for Determining Patentability." IP Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
09 May 2007
"Energy Review, Volume 1 No. 3." Energy Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
17 April 2007
"Supreme Court Clarifies Bar to Whistleblower Suits Under the False Claims Act." U.S. Supreme Court and Appellate Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
06 April 2007
"Supreme Court Decides Global Warming Case." Focus On: Climate and Clean Energy, Hogan & Hartson LLP
02 May 2013
"Supreme Court issues significant class certification ruling in antitrust case." Competition Newsletter, International Law Office
12 October 2009
"Q&A With Hogan & Hartson's Cate Stetson." Law360, Portfolio Media, Inc.