Insights and events
Hilary C. Tompkins brings a wealth of experience to her current practice from her broad public service advising chief executives in government. She has successfully resolved complex, long-standing disputes, advised decision-makers in crisis situations, and has a keen understanding of the interplay between law, policy, economics, and political dynamics.
Her legal experience includes the areas of natural resources, environmental, energy, and Native American law. Hilary's current practice ranges from environmental, energy, and natural resources matters to litigation, product compliance, and corporate due diligence.
Previously Hilary held high-level leadership positions in the public sector. Former President Obama appointed Hilary to serve in the senate-confirmed position of solicitor of the U.S. Department of the Interior. Hilary was the first Native American to hold this position, which she served in for over seven years.
Interior clients included the Bureau of Land Management, National Park Service, Fish and Wildlife Service, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, the Bureau of Indian Affairs, and the Bureau of Reclamation. Hilary was responsible for managing an office of over 300 attorneys in 16 offices nationwide and acquired significant experience in onshore and offshore energy development (conventional and renewable), the administration of federal water projects, conservation and wildlife legal requirements, and public land law.
Prior to her Interior service, Hilary was chief counsel to a state governor and served as a legal adviser to Indian tribes. Hilary started her career in the prestigious Honors Trial Attorney Program at the U.S. Department of Justice. Hilary was recently elected to serve on the Dartmouth Board of Trustees and is chair of the communications committee.
Hilary is an enrolled member of the Navajo Nation.
- Honorary Degree, Doctor of Humane Letters, Dartmouth College, 2019
- J.D., Stanford Law School, 1996
- B.A., Dartmouth College, 1990
- District of Columbia
- New Mexico
- U.S. District Court, District of New Mexico
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Member, Board of Directors, Environmental Law Institute
- Fellow, American College of Environmental Lawyers
- Member, Tribal Advisory Board, The National Judicial College
- Member, Board of Trustees, Dartmouth College
- Member, Board of Directors, Conservation Lands Foundation