Insights and events
As a member of our Appellate practice, Michael West has experience litigating across a wide range of issues, including constitutional law, administrative law, federal jurisdiction, patent law, and criminal law. He has briefed cases at all levels of the federal judiciary, including the U.S. Supreme Court, and before several state supreme courts.
Michael also maintains an active pro bono practice. He briefed a merits case before the U.S. Supreme Court regarding Arizona’s death penalty. He was part of the litigation team that challenged several Trump Administration asylum policies. And he has represented several individuals seeking relief under the First Step Act of 2018.
Prior to joining Hogan Lovells, Michael served as a law clerk for Judge Paul V. Niemeyer of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit. And before law school, Michael spent two years working as an associate at a federal consulting firm.
- Juris Doctor, University of Virginia School of Law, 2018
- Bachelor of Arts, Georgetown University, Magna cum laude, 2013
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Sixth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Colorado
- U.S. District Court, District of Maryland