Insights and events
Sean Marotta's practice is as broad and diverse as the Appellate group's. He has argued at the Supreme Court and in state and federal courts across the country. Sean has also briefed cases in the Supreme Court, federal courts of appeals, and state intermediate and courts of last resort.
Sean is well-versed in civil-procedure, automotive, energy, and administrative appeals. Sean is a sought-after speaker on personal jurisdiction, and regularly argues doctrine-developing appeals for a national automotive manufacturer. Sean also has experience in representing pipelines challenging and defending decisions of the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission and state environmental regulators. His arguments translate technical pipeline jargon to plain English that generalist judges understand. And Sean regularly litigates cases under the Administrative Procedure Act and analogous statutes, challenging and defending federal agencies' decisions.
Sean previously clerked for the Honorable Jane Grall of the New Jersey Superior Court, Appellate Division. While in law school, Sean was the Senior Articles Editor of the William & Mary Law Review and graduated as the class valedictorian.
- J.D., William & Mary Law School, 2010
- B.A., The College of New Jersey, summa cum laude, 2007
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, First Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Tenth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey