Hogan Lovells ranked Top 75 Social Mobility Employer for the seventh year running
2 November 2023 – Hogan Lovells has been ranked 24th in the Social Mobility Employer Index, jumping up eight places since 2022, in recognition of the firm’s continued commitment to social mobility.
Led by the Social Mobility Foundation, the Social Mobility Employer Index is a list of the top 75 employers who are the top-performing employers on social mobility this year. It assesses and ranks UK employers on the actions they take to ensure they are open to and inclusive of talent from all social backgrounds.
Christopher Hutton, Social Mobility Partner Sponsor at Hogan Lovells, said: “We are delighted to be listed in the Top 75 employers for the seventh consecutive year, since the benchmark’s creation in 2017. We have always had a focus on widening access to the legal industry through the work of our Graduate Recruitment team, and through our newly formed Social Mobility Network we are increasing our focus on the retention, progression and inclusion of those from lower socio-economic backgrounds. Leveraging the immense diversity of thought and perspectives which greater socio-economic diversity brings is beneficial for our people and our clients.”
This year, the Index highlighted the following areas of strength in our submission:
- The firm’s robust approach to targeted activity was highlighted for its ability to reach a wide range of schools and young people. It was also noted that there was a clear link between the work Hogan Lovell’s does and the firm’s recruitment pipeline
- We have a wide range of initiatives in place to target those from lower socio-economic backgrounds and collect data to track their success in the application process
- Our Graduate Recruitment Website has detailed information about our programmes and application processes, as well as information on our people and their roles within the firm
- Carrying the cost burden to young people paying for travel and any necessary accommodation was considered a positive attribute given the cost of living crisis
- The launch of our Social Mobility Network and encouraging our people to share their stories internally
- We show our investment in social mobility by engaging with our clients on the topic, through sharing best practice and insights from our Social Mobility Network (formally Social Mobility Working Group) and our active participation in The General Counsel for Diversity and Inclusion’s Social Mobility Pillar
Alongside this ongoing work, we also announced the introduction of a Solicitor Apprenticeship Scheme earlier this year. The scheme is an important step in the firm’s effort to attract and retain the best talent, while promoting diversity across the industry.