+44 20 7296 2294
+44 20 7296 2001
Mathew joined Hogan Lovells in 2002 and became a Partner in the Real Estate Disputes team in 2011. He provides wide-ranging advice on all aspects of property litigation, including commercial landlord and tenant and redevelopment.
Mathew’s particular specialisms include insolvency-related matters, in which he acts for landlords, lenders, corporates and insolvency practitioners. Recent experience in this field includes representing the administrators of the Luminar nightclub chain and those of retailers Peacocks, Bon Marche and Nicole Farhi. He has also acted for landlords in relation to a number of high profile retail insolvencies. He is an associate member of R3 (the association of insolvency professionals).
Mathew regularly acts for lenders in claims against negligent valuers, and recently represented a major UK bank in multi-million pound proceedings arising out of mortgage fraud. Other clients include Prudential, Barclays and Russell & Bromley.
In their 2014 edition, Chambers and Partners say that Mathew is "a delight to work with, very hard-working and committed, pragmatic and provides very good counsel" and recommend him as a leading individual in real estate litigation, as do The Legal 500 who praise him for being "very knowledgeable". He is a regular contributor to the real estate and insolvency press and speaker at industry conferences, as well as being Vice Chair of the British Property Federation’s Insolvency Committee and a member of the Property Litigation Association’s Law Reform Committee.
- Acting for the liquidators of the Peacocks retail chain in successfully defending a claim by British Gas for over £1 million in utilities charges under deemed statutory contracts to be paid as an expense of the administration.
- Acting for the administrators of the Luminar nightclub chain in a landmark High Court ruling about the payment of rent as an expense of the administration.
- Principal real estate disputes adviser to the administrators of the Luminar nightclub chain and retailers Peacocks, Bon Marche and Threshers.
- Advising the administrators of the Nicole Farhi retail chain on a sale of the business out of administration.
- Advising a developer as to potential interference with a right of way so as to facilitate the development of a major residential scheme in London's docklands.
- Acting for Barclays Bank PLC in professional negligence proceedings to recover about £10 million in damages from solicitors and valuers.
- Bringing arbitration proceedings on behalf of a developer with a long leasehold interest in a site in Manchester in order to obtain its landlord’s consent for a multi-million pound development.
- Acting for a middle-eastern sovereign wealth fund in bringing proceedings to recover a €12.5 million property loan.
Hogan Lovells Publications
"Real Estate Quarterly: Autumn 2013." Real Estate Newsletter, Hogan Lovells
"Real Estate Quarterly: Spring 2013." Real Estate Newsletter, Hogan Lovells
"Real Estate Quarterly: Summer 2012." Real Estate Newsletter, Hogan Lovells
"Real Estate Quarterly: Spring 2012." Real Estate Newsletter, Hogan Lovells
"Real Estate Quarterly - Autumn 2010." Real Estate Newsletter, Hogan Lovells
"Real Estate Quarterly - Summer 2010." Real Estate Newsletter, Hogan Lovells