, Washington, D.C.
When risks, agents, carriers, and policyholders are located in different countries, disputes over insurance coverage and reinsurance frequently play out over a number of jurisdictions. Hogan Lovells’ multi-jurisdictional Insurance Litigation team is equipped to act effectively in complex, cross-border disputes over insurance and reinsurance issues. We represent clients with all dispute-resolution procedures, including litigation, arbitration, and Alternative Dispute Resolution mechanisms. Clients include insurers, reinsurers, policyholders, brokers, intermediaries, market associations, and companies providing services to the insurance and reinsurance industry.
In recent years, we have taken a prominent role in some of the most significant events to affect the insurance industry. We have been involved in disputes over the losses associated with September 11, with APH policies, and laddering issues, along with those related to the PA and LMX spirals, D&O coverage, brokers’ contingent commissions, the mis-selling of financial products, and the collapse of Fortress Re.
Our principal services cover the following areas:
We also have a proven record in defending insurers and reinsurers against class actions brought by consumers, as well as representing clients in private and governmental anti-trust and regulatory investigative cases.
Awards and Rankings
Former leadership positions
- Voted 'Star Performer' in Series of Industry Polls, Intelligent Insurer magazine, 2011
- 'Firm of the Year' in the 'Insurance and Reinsurance' category, Who's Who Legal awards, 2005-2011
- Ranked among the top law firms in the 'England - Insurance: contentious' category by PLC Which Lawyer?, 2010
- Runner-up in the 'Legal Firm of the Year' category in the Reinsurance Readers’ Awards, 2009
- Voted 'UK Market Leader in Run-off and Insolvency' in the Intelligent Insurer readers’ survey, 2009
- 'Firm of the Year' in the 'Insurance' category, JUVE Awards, 2008
- Band 1, Insurance – Insurer Firms, Washington, D.C., 2004 to 2011, Chambers USA
- Band 1, Insurer – Insurer Firms, National, 2009, Chambers USA
- Chairman, City of London Law Society's Insurance Law Sub-committee
General Re UK
Sompo Japan Insurance, Inc.
- Member of the City of London Law Society's Insurance Law Sub-committee
- Member of ARIAS (UK)
- Member of the AIDA Reinsurance and Insurance Arbitration Society (ARIAS-U.S.)
- Member of ARIAS-Europe
- Director and Deputy Chairman of the Solicitors Indemnity Mutual Insurance Association Limited (SIMIA)
- Chairman of SIMIA's Audit and Investment Committee, member of SIMIA’s Reinsurance Committee
- Member of the British Insurance Law Association (BILA)
- Member of the British Property Federation's Insurance Committee
- Fellow, American College of Trial Lawyers