Hogan Lovells Recruits BRI Team in Rome
09 March 2012
Rome, 9 March 2012 - Hogan Lovells has recruited business restructuring partner, Ernesto Apuzzo, and a team of three lawyers. The team joined Hogan Lovells in March 2012. They join from DLA Piper in Rome, where Ernesto headed the firm’s Italian restructuring practice.
Ernesto is an experienced restructuring lawyer with a focus on finance driven restructurings for banks. In recent deals Ernesto has advised Unicredit, Intesa San Paolo and Monte dei Paschi di Siena in a number of debt restructurings, as well as notable Italian companies in corporate and financial turnarounds. Prior to DLA Piper, Ernesto was a partner at Simmons & Simmons. He joins Hogan Lovells with associates Alessandra Dima and Francesco Gallo as well as trainee, Michela Palombi.
Stephen Foster, global head of Hogan Lovells' BRI practice said:
“We are delighted that Ernesto and his team have decided to join us. The Eurozone crisis requires more bank balance sheet deleveraging for those financial institutions with exposure in Italy. As such, there is great demand for lawyers with Ernesto’s track record and market reputation.”
Ernesto Apuzzo said:
"Hogan Lovells’ global platform and the support of the cross border restructuring practice will give me enormous opportunities to spread and fortify my client base. These are incredibly interesting times in the restructuring market, particularly for banks and financial institutions, so I am pleased to be joining such a successful team at this time."
Note to Editors
Hogan Lovells Business Restructuring and Insolvency Practice
Hogan Lovells' Business Restructuring and Insolvency (BRI) practice comprises highly experienced lawyers based in the financial hubs of Europe, the Middle East, Asia, North America, and South America. We are supported on every transaction by leading lawyers from across the practice in key areas such as capital markets, litigation, real estate, employment, intellectual property, and pensions.
We advise a wide variety of stakeholders in restructuring and insolvency cases, including distressed borrowers; senior, junior, and subordinated debt providers; shareholders; directors; trustees; and suppliers to a distressed borrower. We also act for investors looking to buy into a distressed situation at either the debt or equity level. Our team has strong experience in all formal insolvency procedures, whether used as part of a work-out or as an exit solution for a distressed corporate.
- Acting for PWC as administrators in relation to EMI
- Acting for the lenders in relation to Peacocks and Bon Marche
- Acting for the lenders in relation to the restructuring of SSPAdvising the senior syndicate banks in relation to the financial restructuring of Hugh Osmond's Pearl Group.
- Acting as Chairman on each of the three post-confirmation committees in the Refco Chapter 11 cases.
- Acting for the Indenture Trustee and as Co-Chairman of the Creditors' Committees in the Quebecor Chapter 11 case.
- Advising the senior syndicate lenders in relation to restructuring the debt facilities of IMO Car Wash through a UK Scheme of Arrangement and pre-packaged administration.
- Advising the syndicate banks on the restructuring of New Star Asset Management facilities, which included a debt/equity exchange.
- Advising the administrators on the administration of FirstQuench (trading as Threshers, Bottoms Up, and others), a chain of off-licences, or shops licensed to sell alcoholic beverages, in the United Kingdom.
- Advising partners of Deloitte LLP, as receivers, regarding Cheyne and Rhinebridge Structured Investment Vehicles, and advising partners of Ernst & Young LLP, as receivers, of the Sigma Finance Corporation Structured Investment Vehicle.
- Advising the Government of Iceland on legal and commercial issues raised by the Icelandic banking collapse and subsequent reorganization.