Breaking Barriers Celebrates International Women's Day Across Asia and Middle East
07 March 2014
HONG KONG – 7 March 2014 – Hogan Lovells' award-winning diversity initiative, Breaking Barriers, hosted a series of events across offices in Asia and the Middle East to celebrate International Women's Day. Events were held in Hong Kong, Shanghai and Singapore, as well as Dubai and Ulaanbaatar marking Breaking Barriers' inaugural events in those offices.
As part of its International Women's Day Inspiring Women Series, Breaking Barriers hosted thought-provoking seminars featuring distinguished speakers in the following offices.
• Dubai: Dr. Maryam Matar – a celebrated philanthropist and the first Emirati woman to become a director general in the Dubai Government – discussed her inspirational work in the UAE.
• Hong Kong: Crystal Kwok – movie star, talk show host, radio personality, stage actress and award-winning director – presented on sensitive topics relating to key women's issues of today.
• Shanghai: Aroma therapist Ada Xie helped attendees discover their individual "aroma-personalities".
• Singapore: Jane Horan – a prominent diversity and inclusion speaker and author – shared her insight on successful career navigation and the importance of building a personal brand in the workplace.
• Ulaanbaatar: Madam Ivana Grollova – the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of the Czech Republic to Mongolia – participated in a panel discussion on overcoming societal and institutional obstacles to women's professional development, which was televised locally.
In addition, the Tokyo office held its inaugural Breaking Barriers event on 5 February, which was well-attended by female clients.
Breaking Barriers was established in 2009 in Hong Kong, and since then the platform has been expanded to other Asia and Middle East offices. Hogan Lovells is one of the very few international law firms with a highly structured women's initiative across the region, and this initiative truly drives home the diversity message of the firm in Asia and the Middle East.
In Mongolia specifically, we are the first global law firm to have sponsored an event dedicated to diversity and the advancement of women professionals, which was covered extensively by local media.
About Breaking Barriers
Breaking Barriers is a branded networking platform for professional women set up by Hogan Lovells. Its aim is to bring professional women together and foster an environment where they can share their experience and network with like-minded individuals.
Since 2009, Breaking Barriers has hosted over 30 different and unique events across Asia and Middle East. We organise topical seminars on a variety of subjects ranging from art, business success stories, leadership, current affairs, history, diversity issues and charity events.
In recognition of its outstanding achievements, Breaking Barriers was awarded "Best gender diversity initiative by an international firm" at the Euromoney Asia Women in Business Law Awards 2012.