A stricter regime for profiling07 June 2016
New Article by Hogan Lovells Partner Examines Proposed EU Regulation
On February 13, 2012, Paris Office partner Winston Maxwell published in the French trade journal Edition Multimedi@. His article examines the European Commission's proposed regulation on data protection, focusing on:
- the Commission's choice of a Regulation as opposed to a Directive,
- the new obligations that would be imposed on companies including
- the accountability principle;
- Privacy by Design; and
- the obligation to conduct privacy impact assessments (PIA) for certain kinds of processing.
The article describes:
- the proposed changes to the rules on applicable law, which are designed to bring certain non-European websites within the scope of European privacy rules;
- the proposed "right to be forgotten";
- and the right to data portability.
The Regulation aims to strengthen the rights of individuals. It does so by retaining rights that already exist under the Data Protection Directive and introducing the new rights of data...06 June 2016
Grounds for processing03 June 2016