The benefits of using Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for tasks from catastrophe response to infrastructure inspection to construction site monitoring, and everything in between, are great. ...19 May 2016
HHS Issues New HITECH/HIPAA Rule: Top Ten Changes
- Changes to the data breach rule will make more incidents reportable.
- Business associates are directly liable for HIPAA violations and business associate agreements must be modified.
- HIPAA enforcement is moving toward a penalty-based system and away from voluntary compliance.
- Patients have enhanced rights to electronic copies of records and some patient requests for restrictions must be honored.
- HIPAA notices of privacy practices need to be revised.
- The marketing rules require individual authorization for subsidized treatment communications.
- Researchers can obtain permission to use data for future unspecified research.
- Fundraising provisions expand the permissible use of patient data to target appeals.
- Privacy Rule protections expire for persons deceased for more than 50 years.
- Compliance with most of the new requirements will be required on September 23, 2013.
These changes are described more fully in the Hogan Lovells Privacy Alert available HERE.
The health sector is under siege with cybersecurity threats. Some of the largest announced cyber attacks in U.S. history have targeted organizations in the health industry. Regulators have...02 May 2016