Insights and events
Long before most lawyers saw any connection between the Internet and privacy, Chris Wolf was already advising clients on a spectrum of domestic and international privacy law issues.
Widely recognized as a pioneer in Internet law and a thought leader, Chris is of counsel in the firm's Privacy and Information Management practice. He brings not only a wealth of knowledge and experience to his role at Hogan Lovells but vision as well.
Whether it's Big Data, cloud computing, social media, the Internet of Things, connected cars, online tracking, cross-border transfers of data, or any number of technology-related areas, Chris remains at the forefront of U.S. lawyers with the ability to "think around corners" and see what's ahead.
Plugged in to D.C. policymaking and with an eye on the political landscape, Chris brings insight to clients as a compliance counselor who's focused on risk management while effectively advocating in federal court, at the FTC, and before state agencies. Washingtonian magazine called him a "Tech Titan," MSNBC "an Internet pioneer," and Chambers ranked him a "Star Individual," writing, "The 'amazing' Christopher Wolf is a 'dean of the industry' who is frequently revered as 'the best in the business.'"
Chris is also the founder and board president of the Future of Privacy Forum, a think tank devoted to advancing responsible data practices, which has become a leading forum for discussing and developing best practices.
- J.D., Washington and Lee University School of Law, magna cum laude, Order of the Coif, 1980
- A.B., Bowdoin College, cum laude, 1976
- Attended, The London School of Economics and Political Science, 1975
- District of Columbia
- New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals, District of Columbia Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. Court of International Trade
- U.S. District Court, District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Wisconsin
- U.S. District Court, Northern District of California
- U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Advisor, American Law Institute Project on Information Privacy Principles
- Board Member, WETA TV and Radio
- Board Member, Young Concert Artists
- Co-Chair, Inter-Parliamentary Coalition for Combating Antisemitism Task Force on Internet Hate
- Member, Advisory Board, Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC)
- Member, Advisory Panel of Experts, The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development (OECD) Working Party on Information Security and Privacy
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, American Society of International Law
- Member and Past Chair, International Network Against Cyber-Hate (INACH)
- Member and Past Chair, Washington, D.C. Regional Governing Board of the Anti-Defamation League
- Member and Past President, Food & Friends Board of Directors
- Member, Association of the Bar of the City of New York
- Member, Board of Advisors, Fordham Law School Center on Law and Information Policy
- Member, Cosmos Club
- Member, International Association of Privacy Professionals (IAPP)
- Member, National Executive Committee of the Anti-Defamation League
- Member, The American Law Institute
- Member, The Economic Club of Washington, D.C.