+1 202 637 5722
+1 202 637 5910
Partner, Washington, D.C.
Bill Nussbaum practices in the area of general civil litigation and has extensive experience handling complex trials. He advises clients on a broad range of civil matters, including breach of contract, fraud, and RICO cases on behalf of both plaintiffs and defendants, customs litigation before the United States Court of International Trade, and the defense of employment discrimination, personal injury, and product liability cases.
Bill has handled over 80 jury trials and a great many non-jury trials, injunction proceedings, arbitrations, and other contested matters in federal and state courts and tribunals in the District of Columbia, Maryland, and throughout the United States, as well as London and Moscow.
In addition to civil cases, Bill has handled a variety of high-profile white-collar criminal matters, including the defense of key figures in the "Whitewater" investigation and the "Ill Wind" investigation of Pentagon procurement practices. He has also worked on numerous internal investigations on behalf of clients in FDA-related matters.
Before joining the firm in 1984, Bill served as an Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, where he was twice the recipient of Department of Justice Special Achievement Awards. In 1989, he became a partner in the litigation practice, where he served as training coordinator for thirteen years. Bill also served as chair of the firm's Associate Evaluation Committee for eight years and was an instructor at the National Institute For Trial Advocacy.
- Obtained a jury verdict on behalf of a telecommunications client in a case in which plaintiff sought $400 million in damages for alleged misappropriation of trade secrets in connection with the development of air-to-ground telephony.
- Obtained a jury verdict on behalf of a telecommunications client in a suit brought by the former CEO seeking $60 million for stock options he alleged were wrongfully withheld.
- Obtained a $52 million award from an arbitral tribunal of the International Centre for Dispute Resolution on behalf of a satellite owner to whom the respondent launch services provider refused to return prepayments after the client properly terminated the launch contract due to respondent's inability to perform.
- Obtained a directed verdict on behalf of a telecommunications client in a suit brought by plaintiff seeking $15 million in lost future profits stemming from a contract to provide parts for client’s satellite telecommunications system.
- Obtained award from the London Court of International Arbitration in favor of a municipal client in a matter brought by a major American bank seeking a $300 million loan payment.
- Obtained a $1 million jury verdict following a six-week breach of patent-license agreement trial on behalf of the inventor of a thermal-insulated window treatment product.
- On behalf of the largest nonprofit scientific and educational institution in the world, obtained a $1 million award on a counterclaim and rejection of claimant’s demand for $15 million in lost profits following trial in arbitration relating to license agreement between claimant and client.
- Obtained a $2 million jury verdict in the District of Columbia on behalf of a realty company on counterclaim for payments due under a lease following the jury’s rejection of plaintiff’s $12 million breach of contract claim.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a major university in a Title VII race discrimination case brought by an African-American former employee.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a major university in a gender discrimination case brought by a tenured professor.
- Obtained a jury verdict in favor of a major university in a Title VII gender and national origin discrimination case brought by an unsuccessful applicant for tenure.
- Obtained a $5 million jury verdict in favor of a telecommunications client in state court in Maryland on counterclaim for breach of contract and fraud in connection with a cellular phone distribution license agreement following the jury’s rejection of plaintiff’s $48 million claim.
- Represented a major insurance company in connection with direct-action lawsuits brought by plaintiffs alleging asbestos-related injuries in Texas and Ohio.
- Represented a pharmaceutical company in a number of personal injury cases related to a drug product filed in the District of Columbia.
- Represented a major manufacturer in over 900 asbestos-related personal injury cases filed in Baltimore and the District of Columbia.