Trademarks and Brands
, Washington, D.C.
, Northern Virginia
Maintaining and enforcing an international brand requires a coordinated strategy that covers many different laws and legal systems. It requires a unique blend of prosecution and counseling skills, together with experience in enforcing and defending rights through litigation. Hogan Lovells offers a comprehensive one-stop trademark service, which ranges from clearance searches and applications to enforcement.
Hogan Lovells' trademark team provides worldwide cover. Many of our offices in Europe, the United States, and Asia handle local trademark filings, and in our Alicante office we handle Community Trade Marks. We work regularly with a network of agents in other jurisdictions. We provide strategic advice on brand protection worldwide and offer both central and regional points of contact for the management of global portfolios. Through the use of Mercuriam®, our secure online extranet service, you can tailor and download reports on your brand portfolio, whenever you need.
Our services include counseling on trademark availability, global trademark and domain name strategies, prosecution of trademarks before national and international registries, due diligence in transactions, and commercial brand agreements, including franchising.
Our lawyers regularly handle multi-jurisdictional litigation matters for leading global brands covering trademarks, trade dress, designs, and domain names. We also enforce and defend your rights through cease-and-desist activities, trademark oppositions, cancellations, domain name arbitrations, anti-counterfeiting actions, customs actions, and civil and criminal litigation before courts and before the U.S. International Trade Commission.
In addition to litigation skills, we have valuable experience in achieving amicable resolutions of trademark disputes through the negotiation of coexistence or settlement agreements.
Awards and Rankings
- Award for European Trade Mark Firm of the Year, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2012
- Awards for UK - Contentious Trade Marks, Germany - Trade Mark Prosecution, and Europe - Internet and Domain Names, Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2011
- "European Trade Mark Firm of the Year," Managing Intellectual Property Global Awards, 2009 & 2010
- Top-tier ranking in Germany for 'Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Unfair Competition,' Chambers Global, 2012
- Top-tier ranking in Germany for Intellectual Property: Trade Marks, Legal 500 Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2011
- Recognized as a top trademark firm, Intellectual Property Today, 2010
- Top -tier ranking for Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Unfair Competition, Chambers Europe, 2011
- Top-tier rankings in China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, and the United Kingdom for 'Trademark Contentious' in the Global IP Survey 2011, published by Managing Intellectual Property; recognized in Italy, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, the United States and Vietnam.
- Top-tier rankings in China, Germany and Japan for 'Trademark Prosecution' in the Global IP Survey 2011, published by Managing Intellectual Property; recognized in France, Hong Kong, Russia, Spain, the United Kingdom, and Vietnam.
Clients find the firm’s "deep experience and proactive approach" helpful, particularly in trademark matters.