+1 212 918 3506
+1 212 918 3100
Partner, New York
Steve Edwards is the former head of the Litigation Group in New York. His practice focuses on complex commercial litigation, including antitrust, contract disputes, fraud, insurance coverage, intellectual property, and securities litigation. Representative experience includes:
- Lead national counsel for Bristol-Myers Squibb in average wholesale pricing cases, involving claims by more than 30 states and class plaintiffs alleging fraud and violations of state consumer protection laws.
- Represented IBM in antitrust case and related DOJ and EC investigations alleging monopolization, tying and refusal to deal.
- Represented United HealthGroup in antitrust case alleging price-fixing and “gun jumping” in connection with a merger.
- Represented Ford Motor Company in Robinson- Patman case alleging price discrimination in the sale of auto parts.
- Represented French company Flamel Technologies in securities class action alleging failure to disclose the results of a clinical trial.
- Represented French company SDV in antitrust class action alleging price fixing in the freight forwarding business.
- Represented Mercedes-Benz Manhattan in antitrust class action alleging price fixing and related DOJ investigation.
- Represented Morgans Hotel Group in shareholders derivative suit.
- Represented Primus Telecommunications in securities suit alleging controlling person liability.
- Represented Reuters in arbitration with stock exchanges and related SEC inquiry concerning options data.
- Represented investor in a securities suit involving definition of a security.
- Represented Imagimed LLC in litigation against former CEO involving breach of fiduciary duty and indemnification claims, and related litigation concerning insurance coverage.
- Represented Shaw Communications in suit over validity and infringement of patent for cellular technology.
- Represented financial institution in trade secrets dispute arising out of alleged breach of a non-disclosure agreement.
- Represented law firm in connection with sexual harassment claim.
- Represented General Development Corporation and its CEO in criminal mail fraud case and related securities and RICO litigation.
- Conducted numerous internal investigations of alleged violations of antitrust laws, fraud and employee misconduct.
From 1998 to 2000, Steve served as President of the Federal Bar Council, an organization of more than 3,000 lawyers who practice in the Federal Courts of the Second Circuit. He is also a past Chair of the Antitrust Section of the New York State Bar Association. In addition, he serves on the Advisory Committee for Civil Rules of the United States District Courts of the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York.
Steve is founder and editor emeritus of the Federal Bar Council News and has written and lectured extensively on a variety of subjects, including antitrust law, class actions, ethics, expert witnesses, privileges, and constitutional law. Steve also chaired the ABA's Merger Guidelines Task Force, whose proposal was published in 81, Col. L. Rev. 1543 (1981).
Steve is the former President of Nazareth Housing, an organization that provides housing for the homeless, Treasurer of the National Center for Law and Economic Justice and a Director of the Jazz Foundation of America. He is also a Co-founder and past President of the Federal Bar Council American Inn of Court.
Hogan Lovells Publications
04 February 2009
"Omnicare v. UnitedHealth Group: Important considerations for companies exchanging information in a merger or acquisition context." Antitrust Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
05 June 2007
"U.S. Supreme Court Reformulates Pleading Standards Applicable to Antitrust Conspiracy Cases." Antitrust Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP