+1 415 374 2336
+1 415 374 2499
Partner, San Francisco
Dr. Zhu is an intellectual property lawyer who represents clients in intellectual property litigation, procurement, opinion, and due diligence. His clients include multinational companies and technology startups based in the United States, Asia, and Europe. Dr. Zhu was named to The Daily Journal's 2013 "Top IP Litigators" list.
Dr. Zhu has represented clients from the U.S., China, Europe, and Japan in numerous intellectual property litigation matters in the United States, China and Europe. His recent representative matters include:
- Representing a U.S. company in a patent infringement and trade secret action in China against Chinese defendants. The U.S. company’s recovery is the largest ever by a foreign company in China. All China Lawyers Association named the case one of the “Top Ten IP Cases of 2012.”
- Representing a U.S. client in a patent enforcement action against several Germany- and China-based companies at a trade show in Germany.
- Representing the same U.S. client in infringement lawsuits filed in Germany following the enforcement action at the trade show.
- Representing a China-based company in computer software and trade secret litigation in the United States.
- Representing a U.S. company in patent infringement and trade secret litigation in China.
- Representing a Chinese company in trade secret litigation in the United States.
- Representing a U.S. client in a patent infringement case in China against several companies in China.
- Defending a Europe-based company in a patent infringement case in the United States.
- Representing a Japan-based company in a patent infringement case in China against a US-based company.
He has prepared and prosecuted hundreds of patent applications in the United States and in more than 40 other countries. The patent applications involve a variety of technologies including semiconductor manufacturing, electronic devices, telecommunications, computer systems and software, renewable energy, automotive systems, and medical devices. Dr. Zhu has filed and prosecuted dozens of appeals before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences of the United States Patent and Trademark Office.
Dr. Zhu has prepared numerous opinion letters on infringement, validity, and patentability. He has represented clients on patent aspects of mergers and acquisitions, and has conducted dozens of due diligence reviews.
He is a frequent speaker on intellectual property protection in the United States and China, and has lectured at Stanford University and the University of California at Berkeley. Prior to practicing law, Dr. Zhu was a senior engineer at General Motors, where he conducted research on electronic systems, engines, and powertrains, and coordinated research projects involving engineers from different GM divisions.