Road and Rail
Lawyers in our multidisciplinary Road and Rail group have long experience in handling a broad range of transportation infrastructure developments, notably including highways, toll roads, and railroads. We frequently advise on new financing concepts and programs, many requiring changes in law or careful structuring to meet the needs of the investment community. With a network of more than 40 offices strategically located in Europe, Asia, the Middle East, Latin America, and the United States, we use a team-oriented, collaborative approach in representing clients in multi-jurisdictional transactions involving, for instance, United States, United Kingdom, and European Union law.
We employ a solutions-driven approach that has earned us top marks from rankings groups like Chambers
and The Legal 500
. Chambers USA
praises "the lawyers' strong knowledge of the regulatory framework and consideration of commercial factors." Our work in the legislative and regulatory areas is indeed a major strength of the firm, particularly in regard to auto safety and emissions, railroad safety and commercial regulation, environmental regulation, licensing, hazardous materials transportation, and technology deployment. We represent private bidders, investors, financial institutions, manufacturers, trade associations, and governmental entities in all aspects of the surface transportation industry.
Awards and Rankings
Former Leadership Positions
- Top-tier firm in Transportation: Road nationwide, Chambers USA, 2009
- Top tier firm in Transportation: Multi-modal nationwide, Chambers USA, 2009
- Recommended firm in Transport: Rail, UK Legal 500, 2009
- Jeff Shane, former Under Secretary for Policy and Assistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs at the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT); former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Transportation Affairs
- Jackie Glassman, former Acting and Deputy Administrator and former Chief Counsel of the DOT's National Highway Traffic Safety Administration