+1 305 459 6652
+1 305 459 6550
Richard C. Lorenzo, Managing Partner of the Miami office, focuses his practice on international commercial litigation and arbitration. He has represented foreign and domestic clients in various industries throughout the United States, Latin America and Europe in complex commercial international arbitration matters. Richard has handled numerous dispute matters in both English and Spanish before the most important tribunals and institutions including the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), the American Arbitration Association (AAA), and the International Centre for Dispute Resolution (ICDR).
Richard has lectured and published extensively in his practice area. He is an adjunct professor of International Arbitration and Litigation at St. Thomas University School of Law. He also comments on international legal matters in the national and international media and has made numerous televised appearances on CNN En Español.
Richard has resided in Brazil, Chile, and the Dominican Republic.
- Representation of Venezuelan petrochemical joint venture corporation in ICC arbitration proceedings in Miami under Venezuelan law over disputes concerning the construction of a $750 million plant in Venezuela.
- Representation of major U.S. power company in ICC arbitration proceedings in New York over disputes with Latin American sovereign concerning joint venture, power-generation facility.
- Representation of Dominican power corporation in Inter-American Commercial Arbitration Commission (IACAC) arbitration proceedings in Miami over disputes concerning construction of major LNG dock facilities in the Dominican Republic.
- Representation of El Salvadoran telecommunications corporation in Spanish language ICDR arbitration proceedings in San Salvador under El Salvadoran law over disputes concerning inter-connect agreements.
- Representation of the Mexican state-owned petroleum company in an effort to dismiss a petition to confirm an arbitral award in the Southern District of New York.
- Representation of a global powerhouse in electronics and electrical engineering over a joint venture arbitration dispute with a contractor who abandoned a transmission line project in Brazil and Chile.
- Representation of a South American state-owned oil company in a US$250 million dispute in connection with a production of oil through water-injection platforms and water-treatment facilities.
- Representation of a South American client in a multi-million dollar dispute in connection with a stock purchase agreement involving the sale of an interest in a financial and insurance group of companies.
"Discovery Challenges and the Conduct of the Arbitration," International Maritime Arbitrations: You're Not in Florida Anymore, JAMS, Miami, Florida.
"The Growth of Regional Arbitration Hubs in the Caribbean and Latin America," Bahamas Second Annual Arbitration and Investment Forum, Nassau, Bahamas.
"The New York Convention and How it Has Aided Growth of Arbitration in Latin America," Columbia Law School, New York, New York.
"Managing Evidence in the Arbitration Process," Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
"Current Trends and the Future of International Commercial Arbitration," Miami Law Business Law Review & International and Comparative Law Review Symposium, University of Miami School of Law, Miami, Florida.
"Arbitration Rules Update," 10th International Arbitration and Litigation Conference, Miami, Florida.
"Costa Rica - Seat of International Arbitrations," Third Annual International Arbitration Conference in Costa Rica, San Jose.
Speaker, First Annual Central America Arbitral Center Regional Conference, Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
Speaker, ICC YAF Arbitration Conference, Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
Hogan Lovells Publications
04 February 2013
"If Argentina withdraws from the ICSID Convention: Implications for foreign investors." Hogan Lovells
01 March 2005
"Resolving Corporate Disputes—What are the Options?" Litigation, Mediation, and Arbitration Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
"Key Considerations When Negotiating and Drafting International Arbitration Clauses in Latin America." Latin American Law & Business Report
"Aspectos Importantes a Considerar al Negociar y Redactar una Cláusula Arbitral Internacional." Tratado de Derecho Arbitral: El Convenio Arbitral, Tomo II, Instituto Peruano de Arbitraje
"Getting the Deal Through - Arbitration 2011.", Global Arbitration Review
"ICDR." Getting the Deal Through - Arbitration, Law Business Research
"United States." Getting the Deal Through - Arbitration, Law Business Research
"Does 'May' Mean 'Shall' in Arbitration?" International Law Quarterly, Vol. XXIII, No. 2, The Florida Bar
01 May 2003
"International Arbitration: Practical Considerations With a Latin American Focus." Journal of Structured and Project Finance, Institutional Investor Journals