UK and EU Public Law and Policy
, Practice Area Leader
, Of Counsel
Hogan Lovells UK & EU Public Law and Policy team is the "first port of call for smart, business-minded lawyers." Chambers UK
The continued growth of state involvement in, and regulation of, industry and commerce, together with growing demands for public-sector transparency and accountability, makes the interface between the public and private sectors an increasingly important and complex one. Our dedicated UK & EU Public Law and Policy team focuses on advising clients from both sides of that interface on the full range of public law and policy issues at both a UK and EU level, notably in heavily regulated industries such as financial services, gambling, healthcare, pharmaceuticals, telecoms, tobacco, transport, and utilities.
Described as being "at the forefront of judicial review", Legal 500
, we have substantial experience of acting in the most high-profile and complex administrative and public law cases before UK and European courts. The breadth and depth of this experience means that we are uniquely well placed to understand and advise on the legal and commercial complexities and political sensitivities that such cases involve.
Combining our administrative and public law litigation experience with our experience in parliamentary and public affairs, freedom of information, and human rights, we offer an integrated and seamless service in:
Awards and Rankings
- identifying and analyzing policy, legislative, and regulatory proposals
- advising on public decision-making and governance processes
- deploying the full range of policy and legal arguments and strategies throughout the public decision-making process and in any subsequent legal challenges to secure robust and effective policy and regulatory decisions by public bodies.
- "Very strong expertise and a strong team — they always bend over backwards to accommodate us"; "they are pragmatic, commercial and give relevant advice"; practice area head Paul Dacam is "approachable, responsive and can prioritise when time is of the essence"; associate Charles Brasted offers "detailed understanding of the relevant law," Legal 500
- These lawyers "run with cases at extremely short notice and know exactly what note to strike with corporate executives," Chambers
- Paul Dacam is "very quick and on the ball" and "understands the issues very well," Legal 500
- Clients appreciate Charles Brasted's ability to "immerse himself in the detail, but then translate the legalities into a language that we can understand," Chambers
The UK and EU Public Law and Policy team acts for both private and public sector clients. Our public sector clients include national governments and governmental departments, regulators, and other public and quasi-public authorities. Our private-sector clients include international businesses, trade associations, and a number of FTSE 100 and 250 companies.
The breadth of experience in the practice is reflected in the wide range of sectors in which we work. These include:
- Banking and financial services
- Environment and planning
- Food, drink, and tobacco
- Pharmaceuticals and healthcare
- PPP/PFI projects
- Telecoms and broadcasting