UK and EU Public Law and Policy
, Practice Area Leader
Hogan Lovells is the only firm top ranked by Chambers UK
for both Administrative and Public Law and Parliamentary and Public Affairs.
That reflects our focus on assisting our clients to protect and promote their interests at the intersection of the public and private sectors.
Our dedicated UK & EU Public Law and Policy team offers an integrated service for clients on both sides of that intersection, notably in heavily regulated industries such as aviation, energy, financial services, healthcare and life sciences, telecoms, tobacco and water.
Described as being "at the forefront of judicial review" (Legal 500)
we have substantial experience
of acting in the most high-profile and complex administrative and public law cases before UK and European courts and tribunals. We understand the legal and commercial complexities and political sensitivities that such cases involve.
We combine our experience of contentious and non-contentious administrative and public law with deep knowledge of EU, human rights
, and freedom of information
law, as well as of public affairs
. We also draw on regulatory and industry expertise from across the firm.
This breadth and depth of experience means that we provide integrated, strategic assistance that deploys the full range of arguments and approaches in a way that is sensitive to our client's objectives and the political and commercial risks involved.
Our service includes advising:
- claimants, defendants and interested parties in commercial judicial reviews, statutory appeals and other regulatory and public law challenges;
- businesses and trade associations on engaging effectively with UK and EU government departments, regulators and other public bodies on regulatory and policy issues, including on the use of UK, EU and ECHR legal arguments and litigation strategies, and on responding to white papers, consultation documents and impact assessments;
- public bodies on exercising their public law functions, including on their powers and duties, on governance, on consultation processes and on how to make robust, litigation-proof decisions;
- on regulatory and policy design and drafting;
- on parliamentary processes, including legislation, select committees and inquiries; and
- on freedom of information law, including on protecting, and obtaining, sensitive information and on disputes before the Commissioner and Tribunals.
As part of Hogan Lovells' Global Policy Advocacy Practice (click here
for more information), we offer the local insight, legal and regulatory expertise and public affairs skills needed to help our clients across the World on the most important policy and regulatory matters.
Awards and Rankings
- "Very strong expertise and a strong team — they always bend over backwards to accommodate us"; "they are pragmatic, commercial and give relevant advice"; practice area head Paul Dacam is "approachable, responsive and can prioritise when time is of the essence"; associate Charles Brasted offers "detailed understanding of the relevant law,"
- These lawyers "run with cases at extremely short notice and know exactly what note to strike with corporate executives,"
- Paul Dacam is "very quick and on the ball" and "understands the issues very well," Legal 500
- Clients appreciate Charles Brasted's ability to "immerse himself in the detail, but then translate the legalities into a language that we can understand," Chambers