Private Equity/Venture Capital
, New York/London
Hogan Lovells has one of the most global and sophisticated private equity practices in the world. We assist private equity and venture capital houses in making investments locally in countries throughout the world, and globally in cross-border transactions. Hogan Lovells is ranked 4th by volume and 3rd by value for advising on Global Completed Private Equity deals in the Bloomberg 2011 league tables, a clear demonstration of the strength of our combined platform and the extensive scale of our international private equity capability.
Hogan Lovells Private Equity practice has lawyers resident in 14 countries operating in Asia, Europe, Latin America, the Middle East and United States, offering world class service to private equity houses and their portfolio companies. As more private equity houses undertake cross border deals, Hogan Lovells are ideally placed to act on these transactions.
We offer sophisticated advice for the full life cycle of an investment or portfolio company. Our lawyers represent private equity and venture capital houses through their growth cycle, including fund formation; new money or private equity investments; financings; initial public offerings, as well as in mergers, acquisitions, strategic partnerships, or trade sale exits.
Hogan Lovells is one of a handful of law firms that can deliver a full range of legal services specifically tailored to meet the needs of start-up businesses. Our lawyers represent emerging companies in early, middle, and later stage venture capital investments, general corporate matters and exit transfers. We continue to serve clients originally sponsored by private equity or venture capital funds through and beyond the IPO stage, as public entities, and in “going private” transactions, as well as in connection with M&A activity.
Hogan Lovells has a dedicated team of more than 30 investment fund lawyers globally advising sponsors and investors on fund formation and investment opportunities. We have significant experience with the formation, marketing, and operation of all kinds of investment funds, both onshore and offshore. We advise across the full range of investment funds and have represented sponsors and investors in private equity funds, venture capital funds, real estate funds, mezzanine and other debt funds, infrastructure funds, emerging markets funds, and hedge funds. Our team has a history of innovation, having advised on a number of cutting-edge fund projects that have become precedent for the market.
Our lawyers bring a strong "sector approach" to deals, bringing to bear a legal team which couples transactional experience, industry knowledge and regulatory capability. Our interdisciplinary approach provides significant differentiation to the advice we provide our clients, both in connection with making investment decisions and developing post-investment growth strategies. We strive to build client relationships based on the simple principle that whatever the issue, we will deliver the answers you need, when you need them.
Awards and Rankings
- Shortlisted in Legal Adviser of the Year category at Private Equity Awards 2010 hosted by the British Private Equity & Venture Capital Association (BVCA) and Real Deals.
- Honourable mention for deal of the year for Landmark securities joint venture in Japan between Morgan Stanley and Mitsubishi UFJ by Asian-MENA Counsel 2010.
- Ranked in tier 1 for Corporate/M&A & Private Equity in Washington, D.C. by Chambers USA in 2007-2012.
- Ranked in tier 1 for mid cap private equity deals in France by Chambers Europe 2011.
- Ranked in tier 2 for Corporate/M&A & Private Equity in Florida by Chambers USA in 2012.
- Ranked in tier 3 for Investment Funds: Venture Capital by Chambers USA 2012.
- Ranked in tier 3 for private equity deals in Russia by Chambers Europe 2011.
- Ranked in tier 3 for private equity deals in Hong Kong by IFLR 1000 2012.
- Ranked in tier 4 for Investment Funds: Fund Formation by Chambers USA 2011-2012.
- Ranked in tier 4 for Venture Capital and Emerging Companies by Legal 500 US 2012.
- Ranked in tier 5 for Private Equity: Transactions and Venture Capital by UK Legal 500 in 2011.
- Ranked in tier 5 for Private Equity Buyouts in Legal 500 US 2011-2012.
- Ranked in tier 5 for Private Equity Funds in Legal 500 US 2012.
- Ranked in tier 5 for private equity deals in Germany by Chambers Europe 2011.
- Ranked in tier 5 for private equity deals in the Netherlands by Legal 500 EMEA 2011.
- Ranked among the top 10 legal advisors by volume for global and U.S. completed PE M&A transactions by Bloomberg in 2011.
- ABS Capital Partners
- ACON Investments
- Advent International
- Ares Capital
- Astorg Partners
- Axa Private Equity
- Columbia Capital
- Darwin Private Equity
- Doughty Hanson & Co. Technology Ventures
- Energy Special Situations Fund
- Exponent Private Equity
- GI Partners
- Herkules Capital
- Kelso Place Asset Management
- KRG Capital Partners
- Morgan Stanley Private Equity
- Northzone Ventures
- Trilantic Capital Partners
- Warburg Pincus