Privacy and Data Protection
, Co-Global Head, U.S.
, Co-Global Head, U.S.
The compliance challenges and business risks related to personal and other sensitive data are significant and growing. With advances in technology, personal information is increasingly collected, stored, used, and shared. At the same time, the regulation of data use and security is increasing worldwide.
We have had a team specialising in privacy and data protection for over 25 years. Today Hogan Lovells has one of the largest and most experienced Privacy and Information Management practices in the world, spanning the United States, Europe, and Asia. We assist clients with all of their compliance challenges, creating international transfer agreements, drafting policies and contracts, and providing advice. With our global reach, we are able to provide a 24-hour global hotline to respond to data emergencies. In addition:
- We are among the very few law firms that can help you achieve compliance both globally and in regard to specific national laws.
- Our lawyers are conversant with local regulations, the laws affecting cross-border data transfers, and the laws regulating sectors that collect sensitive personal information, such as finance and health.
- We represent clients in investigations and adversarial matters concerning the use of data, whether at the level of the EU data protection authorities, or before the U.S. Federal Trade Commission, Department of Health and Human Services, state attorneys general, or in private party litigation.
- We play an important role in the development of public policy regarding the future regulation of privacy.
Current and Former Leadership Positions
- Christopher Wolf, Founder and Co-Chair, The Future of Privacy Forum; Member, American Law Institute; Founder, Coalition for Privacy and Free Trade
- Marcy Wilder, former Deputy General Counsel, U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Harriet Pearson, former Vice President, Security Counsel, and Chief Privacy Officer, IBM Corporation
This team enters the top band this year having earned widespread praise for the calibre of its global practitioners. Sources are also struck by the team's continued international expansion.