+1 310 785 4696
+1 310 785 4601
Attorney, Los Angeles
Poopak Nourafchan has extensive experience in the areas of antitrust, entertainment, intellectual property, and commercial litigation. She represents and consults corporate clients involved in antitrust, business, securities, and class action litigation, as well as large entertainment clients engaged in copyright, trademark, trade dress, false advertising, and unfair competition disputes. Her experience includes all aspects of trial, trial preparation, discovery, motion practice, and court appearances, as well as settlement negotiations, mediation, and arbitration.
- Defeated class certification, won summary judgment, and obtained directed verdict after three-week trial for the home video distribution arm of a major American motion picture studio in state and federal class actions alleging price fixing and price discrimination in the video rental industry.
- Won summary judgment, and defeated motion for reconsideration and motion for new trial, on behalf of Gemstar-TV Guide International, Inc. in lawsuit brought by 38 former employees of bankrupt video-on-demand company Gemstar had sought to acquire.
- Represented a leading American direct broadcast satellite service provider and broadcaster in an action to uphold our client’s most favored nation rights in connection with our client’s carriage of the Lifetime and Lifetime Movie Network television channels.
- Successfully defended a leading American direct broadcast satellite service provider and broadcaster in trade secret misappropriation case — and obtained lawyers' fees for client — by getting lawsuit dismissed pursuant to California’s anti-SLAPP statute.
- Represented country’s largest provider of in-store/supermarket shelf signage and free-standing inserts (newspaper coupons) in connection with various state and federal antitrust and advertising claims.
- Successfully obtained ruling from Ninth Circuit on behalf of a major American motion picture studio, reversing district court’s denial of personal jurisdiction over German national.
- Represented a leading global motion picture studio and distribution company in complex copyright and trademark dispute over the rights to make a series of iconic motion pictures.*
*Matter handled prior to joining the firm.