+44 20 7296 2615
+44 20 7296 2001
Paul heads up Hogan Lovells UK and EU Public Law and Policy practice, and specialises in commercial judicial review and public affairs. He acts for a range of both commercial clients and regulatory bodies, advising on judicial review challenges to regulatory actions and decisions, human rights disputes, freedom of information issues, media litigation, including defamation and broadcasting standards and Press Complaints Commission work. Paul is ranked as a leading practitioner for both Administrative and Public Law, and Public Affairs in the major directories.
Paul is a member of the Administrative Law Bar Association.
- Acting for Icelandic Government on issues relating to the banking crisis, the nationalisation and restructuring of the Icelandic Banks and its relationship with and rights against the UK Government, European Institutions and others.
- Acting for the Australian Government in judicial review proceedings challenging UK pensions legislation.
- Acting for a major UK tobacco company in various judicial review challenges to regulatory measures restricting tobacco marketing and labelling.
- Advising Ofgem on the implementation and impact of a new Statutory Appeals procedure relating to its decisions on various energy code modifications; ongoing advice to Ofgem concerning its energy code modification decisions and acting for Ofgem on the first statutory appeal made to an energy code modification decision.
- Acting for a Northern Ireland government department in relation to judicial review and procurement challenges to the procurement of a major PFI project, including applications for interim relief and jurisdictional disputes.
- Advising public authorities, commercial applicants and third parties on information rights issues under the Freedom of Information Act, the Environmental Information Regulations and EU and international law.
Hogan Lovells Publications
11 July 2013
"Global: Defamation and social media." Global Media and Communications Quarterly: social media, Hogan Lovells
05 July 2013
"Global Media and Communications Quarterly: Focus on Social Media." GMC Quarterly, Hogan Lovells
"The Right to Change Your Mind - A Public Authority's Prerogative?", Hogan Lovells
20 April 2011
"Judgement Handed Down in PPI Judicial Review Case." Litigation Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Media Newsletter - October 2010." Media Law Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Media Newsletter - September 2010." Media Law Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Identity of FOI Requesters (Who Wants to Know?).", Hogan Lovells
"Media Newsletter - August 2010." Media Law Alert, Hogan Lovells
"Identity of FOI Requestors (Who Wants to Know?).", Hogan Lovells, Freedom of Information (Vol 6, Issue 6)
"Media Newsletter - July 2010." Media Law Alert, Hogan Lovells
18 February 2010
"Judicial Review Procedure.", Lovells
18 February 2010
"Judicial Review: An Introduction.", Lovells
"Trump Card: Local Government Accountability Beats Commercial Confidentiality.", Lovells
12 June 2009
"Challenging Government Decisions in the UK: an introduction to judicial review.", Lovells
15 May 2009
"Between a rock and a hard place.", Lovells
23 February 2006
"Freedom of Information: Has It Made A Difference?", Hogan Lovells, PLC