, Washington, D.C.
, Colorado Springs
The ability to leverage patent rights through production, transfer, or licensing, and to enforce those rights against competitors, is a crucial factor in determining patent value. Our patent lawyers provide the full range of legal services to patent holders, including strategic counseling, portfolio development, transactions, enforcement, and licensing. A particular strength of our practice is our experience in handling multi-jurisdictional patent litigation. Defending against infringement claims is equally critical. We represent local and multinational companies, startups, universities, hospitals, and research organizations, and have been ranked in the top tier of firms offering patent services by leading industry publications.
We understand the nuances involved in preparing and guiding patent applications through the many levels of regulatory scrutiny, as well as the business decisions to be made after a patent is granted. Many members of the group have technical backgrounds and hold advanced degrees in fields such as engineering, biology, chemistry, physics, and computer science. Close cooperation with our in-house science unit ensures that our guidance is thorough, technically sound, and strategically effective. We have in-depth experience working with clients across all major industries, with a particular emphasis on life sciences and technology/ telecommunications. Many of our lawyers have worked for companies in the industries they serve.
During the lifetime of a patent and at the end of its term we assist innovators in resolving disputes relating to the eligibility for patent protection, validity, infringement, and licensing, successfully protecting major revenue streams of international businesses. We take a strategic approach and leverage our international network to select the appropriate forum for litigation.
Awards and Rankings
- Recognized IP practice in the category "Patents and Trade Secrets," Legal 500 US, 2011
- Highly ranked patent litigation practice in the United Kingdom, Chambers UK, 2012
- Top-tier ranking for patent litigation in Germany, Chambers Global, 2012
- Highly ranked patent practice in the Netherlands, Chambers Global, 2012
- Top-tier ranking for patent litigation in Germany, Legal 500 Europe, Middle East and Africa, 2011
- Top-tier contentious patent practice in China, Germany, Japan, and Vietnam, and recognized contentious patent practice in France, Hong Kong, Italy, the Netherlands, Poland, Russia, Spain, the United Kingdom, and the United States, Managing Intellectual Property, 2012