Martin Fähndrich specializes in patent litigation before the German infringement courts (e.g. Dusseldorf, Mannheim, Munich) as well as opposition proceedings before the EPO and nullity actions before the German Patent Court. Martin has been involved in a large number of multi-jurisdictional matters and is particularly familiar with setting up cross border litigation strategies. He has a significant track record in fighting patent trolls, defending his clients’ interests against campaigns of competitors, and successfully asserting key patents of his own clients. He also has extensive experience in negotiating and drafting licensing agreements and settlements.
Martin obtained university degrees in both engineering and law. Due to his engineering background Martin focuses on cases involving difficult technical subject matter. He is particularly experienced in litigating patent cases in the fields of automotive, medical devices, telecoms, cryptography, electrical engineering and software.
"Standard essential patents – navigating antitrust and patent law issues in licensing negotiations."
(7 November 2014)
- Martin represented ZTE at the European Court of Justice in the matter Huawei vs. ZTE which is a landmark case for the whole telecoms industry and the entire patent law community.
- In the automotive sector, Martin ran patent litigation cases for three different leading OEMs as well as numerous suppliers including Johnson Controls, Thyssen Krupp, and ITW. The involved technologies included: crankshaft bearings, gear shift sets, turbochargers, body-reinforcing elements, ventilation systems for the windscreen, wheel suspensions, vehicle seat heaters, airbag devices, tire repair kits, and seat frames.
- In the medical devices sector, Martin represented patent cases including nullity actions and EPO oppositions for a large number of companies including Stryker, Karl Storz, Fresenius Kabi and the French state. The involved patents included: Lithotripters, orthopedic shock wave applicators, kyphoplasty devices, spine implants, blood fractionation, syringe pump devices.
- In the telecoms sector, Martin assisted BlackBerry, ZTE and other leading handset and telecoms infrastructure manufacturers in patent infringement, invalidity and opposition proceedings. Martin litigated numerous LTE, UMTS and speech coding patents. In addition, he litigated patents on other aspects of smartphone technology (antenna, battery, and NFC technology, e-mail communication, communication control, posting, and retrieval of software updates) as well as with multiple mode direct conversion receivers, optical transmission systems, optical amplifiers and wavelength division multiplexing.
- In the engineering field, Martin represented clients, among others, on patent infringement, nullity and opposition cases relating to connectors, electrical switching devices, sputtering devices, packing machines, food slicing machinery, tooling machines, minimum quantity lubrication, air blast devices, and homogenizers.