+852 2840 5002
+852 2219 0222
Partner, Hong Kong
Neil McDonald is a partner of Hogan Lovells in Hong Kong and the head of Business Restructuring and Insolvency practice in Asia. He has been involved in a wide range of matters in Asia and Australia in respect of the restructuring and insolvency of distressed companies. Neil acts for financial institutions, insolvency appointment holders, turnaround management firms, hedge funds and private equity firms.
Neil advises clients on all aspects of financial distress including consensual workouts, shareholder disputes, liquidations, receiverships and other enforcement options including litigation. He also advises clients on the proprietary acquisition of distressed businesses and assets, including by debt trading on the secondary market.
- advising the official Chapter 11 committee of unsecured creditors (comprising primarily bondholders) in relation to the Chapter 11 bankruptcy of ShengdaTech, Inc in Nevada
- advising a large bondholder group in relation to Sino-Forest Corporation
- advising the bondholder group in relation to China Forestry Holdings Co Ltd
- advising the founding shareholders of GOME Electrical Appliances Holding Limited in relation to their shareholder rights
- advising a number of financial institutions in relation to the collapse of Lehman Brothers
- advising a major commercial bank in relation to the debt obligations of Dubai World and Nakheel
- advising the bank steering committee and liquidators of Peace Mark Holdings Limited
- advising on the restructuring by a debt to equity swap of First Engineering's US$164 million senior secured loan
Hogan Lovells Publications
06 May 2013
"Proposed Improvements to the Hong Kong Corporate Insolvency Regime.", Hogan Lovells
08 March 2013
"Debtor-in-possession proceedings in Japan - an opportunity for distressed investors or a cautionary tale?", Hogan Lovells
24 July 2012
"Loan Trading under LMA Documentation - A Guide for Traders and In-house Counsel."