+852 2840 5002
+852 2219 0222
Partner, Hong Kong
Neil McDonald is a partner of Hogan Lovells in Hong Kong and the head of Business Restructuring and Insolvency practice in Asia. He has been involved in a wide range of matters in Asia in respect of the restructuring and insolvency of distressed companies. Neil acts for financial institutions, insolvency appointment holders, turnaround management firms, hedge funds and private equity firms.
Neil advises clients on all aspects of financial distress including consensual workouts, shareholder disputes, liquidations, receivership's and other enforcement options including litigation. He also advises clients on the proprietary acquisition of distressed businesses and assets.
Neil is widely recognised as a leading individual for Restructuring and Insolvency by Legal 500 Asia Pacific, Chambers Asia Pacific, International Financial Law Review 1000 and PLC Which Lawyer? yearbook.
- Advising the liquidators of Titan Group Investment Limited in relation to the sale of assets for value in excess of US$300 million
- Advising the Steering Committee of bondholders in relation to defaults of US$1.8 billion of bonds issued by Sino-Forest Corporation, and in relation to the subsequent debt for equity swap achieved through a Canadian CCAA bankruptcy filing
- Advising the bondholder group in relation to China Forestry Holdings Co Ltd
- Advising the senior lenders led by Rabobank and RBS in respect of the restructuring of Asia Timber Products Company Limited's onshore and offshore debt liabilities
- Advising the Noteholder Steering Committee on defaults under US$200m Secured Convertible Notes issued by Skyfame Realty (Holdings) Limited including restoration of securities and the restructuring of debt obligations under the Notes
- Advising the Agent and Security Trustee in respect of the enforcement of rights in relation to Rightway China Real Estate Limited's US$600 million onshore and offshore debt liabilities and the appointment of receivers
- Advising the founding shareholders of GOME Electrical Appliances Holding Limited in relation to their shareholder rights
- Advising a number of financial institutions in relation to the collapse of Lehman Brothers
Hogan Lovells Publications
06 May 2013
"Proposed Improvements to the Hong Kong Corporate Insolvency Regime.", Hogan Lovells
08 March 2013
"Debtor-in-possession proceedings in Japan - an opportunity for distressed investors or a cautionary tale?", Hogan Lovells
24 July 2012
"Loan Trading under LMA Documentation - A Guide for Traders and In-house Counsel."
23 March 2014 - 25 March 2014
INSOL International Annual Regional Conference 2014