Media Litigation and Counseling
At a time of great challenge to traditional revenue models, major media companies also face a growing number of litigious actions. A single instance of alleged defamation, cybersquatting, a breach of privacy, or the unauthorized use of material can escalate into a major crisis that quickly swamps your in-house legal resources.
Media lawyers working within Hogan Lovells' intellectual property practice have served leading publishers, broadcasters, and content aggregators for years, building up long-term relationships based on a deep understanding of the day-to-day commercial and legal pressures in the media industry. With our renowned capabilities in U.S. First Amendment and other press freedom cases, we are well-placed efficiently to defend your interests without absorbing the resources of your in-house team.
We provide pre-publication advice and clearance, including advice on day-to-day newsgathering. We handle publishing and licensing agreements and advise on a wide range of media-related issues, including content licensing and rights disputes, character licensing, profit participation, and accounting disputes, and frequently assist media companies with strategic portfolio development.
Awards and Rankings
- Ranked tier one for 'Media & Entertainment: Media Litigation: New York,' Chambers USA, 2011
- Recognized practice for 'Media & Entertainment - Film & Television', 'Digital Content', and Advertising & Marketing' Chambers UK, 2012
- Recognized practice for 'Media & Entertainment,' Legal 500 UK, 2011
- Recognized practice for 'TMT – Media,' Chambers Europe - Germany, 2011
- Recognized practice for 'Media – Entertainment' and 'Media - Press & Publishing,' Legal 500 Europe, Middle East and Africa - Germany, 2011
- Top-tier ranking in France for 'Media and Entertainment - Full Service Firms,' Legal 500 Europe, Middle East, and Africa, 2011