Media and Entertainment
, Los Angeles
, New York
Hogan Lovells has one of the largest and most comprehensive practices serving the media and entertainment industry, a sector that continues to grow while facing the opportunities and challenges brought about by the convergence of traditionally distinct markets.
Our Media and Entertainment practice is present in Asia, Europe, and the United States. We cover all the issues faced by companies operating in a wide range of media, from print, film, radio, and television to computer games, social network operators, and innovative online services. We work with all kinds of rightsholders, from cultural and sporting institutions to publishers, broadcasters, distributors, and exhibitors.
Our team combines knowledge across many practice areas to produce a single integrated approach. The market-leading practices brought together through the team include:
- Intellectual Property and Domain Names practices, which help protect media businesses’ key assets
- Regulatory, Data Protection, and Information Management teams, which help online and offline media businesses adapt to the increasingly complex regulatory environments governing media production and distribution across multiple platforms and international borders
- a Corporate practice, which advises on the mergers, acquisitions, and joint ventures that occur as media businesses seek to develop through such transactions, as well as through organic growth
- a Finance and Restructuring practice, which advises on all aspects of finance, securitization, and restructuring, with film lawyers working in Century City, California; New York; Europe; and Asia
- Media Litigation lawyers, who handle some of the most significant cases in the industry
- an Antitrust and Competition practice, which advises on the complex national and international challenges of structural regulation and competition rules governing the media
- a Commercial and Tax practice, which helps media businesses work together, form strategic alliances, structure coproductions and distribution deals, and develop new business models to respond to technology and market changes.
Awards and Rankings
- Highly-ranked for Media & Entertainment: Advertising & Marketing, Chambers UK, 2013
- Highly-ranked Media and Entertainment practice in Corporate and First Amendment Litigation, Chambers USA, 2012
- Top-tier for Media and Entertainment in France, Legal 500 EMEA, 2012
- Recognized for Media: Press and Publishing in Germany, Legal 500 EMEA, 2012
- Recognized in tier 1 for Media in Germany, JUVE Handbook, 2012
It gives us sound legal advice that is not overly risk-averse, and allows us to balance our business goals effectively.