+1 305 459 6625
+1 305 459 6550
Mark Cheskin is a trial lawyer who represents businesses in civil lawsuits and arbitrations that have significant financial exposure or other important business ramifications.
In his 27-year legal career, Mark successfully has taken dozens of significant cases to jury verdict, final judgment, or final arbitral award as lead lawyer in a wide range of matters in domestic and international jurisdictions.
Mark has handled a broad range of cases, from international business disputes to defending class actions involving tens of thousands of plaintiffs. He has experience representing clients from virtually every sector of the economy, including: construction, energy, financial, retail, travel, communication, higher education, healthcare, professional, agriculture, and technology.
While Mark takes a bottom-line approach to resolving clients' problems, he goes to trial when the need arises. His ability as a jury trial lawyer recently was highlighted when he obtained a US$2.5 million jury verdict on behalf of a pro bono client in a discrimination case against the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Mark received the Daily Business Review’s designation as South Florida's Most Effective Lawyer in the pro bono category for this representation. The breadth of Mark's trial experience was demonstrated when he followed up this pro bono representation with a four week trial over the construction of a US$205 million power plant on behalf of one of the world's largest major engineering and construction companies, and shortly after that, participated in a two week international arbitration over a €290 million telecommunications satellite on behalf of one of the largest satellite manufacturers in the world. This latter arbitration resulted in a €36 million award in favor of our client.
Mark also is one of the few defense lawyers in the country to defend class action cases through jury verdict. Within one six-month period, Mark helped obtain successful jury verdicts in two different, month-long class action jury trials, where tens of thousands of plaintiffs sought more than $70 million in damages. The National Law Journal called the victories one of the "Top Ten Defense Wins" for that year.
Mark is consistently ranked as a top lawyer in Chambers USA, Best Lawyers of America, South Florida Legal Guide, Florida Trend Magazine, and Super Lawyers.
- Represented to final judgment one of the world's largest engineering and construction companies over the construction of a US$205 million power plant in which more than US$40 million was in dispute.
- Represented in London, one of the largest satellite manufacturers in the world in a €290 million ICC arbitration against a Florida-based manufacturer.
- Obtained successful jury verdicts in two separate, month-long class action jury trials within a six month period in which tens of thousands of plaintiffs sought more than US$70 million in back pay from two of Florida's largest agricultural employers.
- Obtained a US$2.5 million jury verdict on behalf of a pro bono client in a case against the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.
- Obtained over US$1 million settlement against a credit counseling business for failure to pay marketing fees.
- Obtained successful jury verdict in federal court for a major NASA contractor in sexual harassment and retaliation case.
- Obtained permanent injunction against former salesperson of an international travel agency for theft of trade secrets and breach of non-compete agreement.
- Obtained defense judgment for a national mortgage lending institution, three of its affiliates, and three former high-level executives by obtaining partial summary judgment and then an arbitration defense award after a five-day final hearing in a matter alleging sexual harassment, retaliation, breach of contract, defamation, negligence, and tortious interference.
- Obtained summary judgment on 17 count complaint by four plaintiffs against one of the country’s largest healthcare companies, and successfully argued the appeal before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
9 APRIL 2014
Moderator, "Rising Global Stars: Understanding the Asia-LatAm Trade Relationship," Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre, Miami, Florida
20 FEBRUARY 2014
Speaker, "Brazil Panel," International Institute for Conflict Prevention & Resolution 2014 Annual Meeting, Charleston, South Carolina
23 OCTOBER 2013
Speaker, "The Arbitration Request – Terms of Reference," Tenth Annual Seminar on International Commercial Arbitration: How to Handle an Oil & Gas Industry Case, American University Washington College of Law Centre on International Commercial Arbitration and the Pontifícia Universidade Católica, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
23 SEPTEMBER 2013
Speaker, "Arbitrating in Asia: Understanding Risk & Resolving Disputes," HKIAC in the Americas, Buenos Aires, Argentina
27 JANUARY 2012
Speaker, "Examining Expert Witnesses in an International Arbitration," International Council for Commercial Arbitration's Young ICCA Seminar on Preparing Expert Witness Reports and Testimony, University of Miami, Miami, Florida