IP Litigation, Arbitration and Alternative Dispute Resolution
, Washington, D.C.
, New York
While frequently international in scope, intellectual property disputes require extensive knowledge of local law in a variety of jurisdictions and a deep understanding of the technical matters in hand. Hogan Lovells' IP Litigation team comprises more than 260 lawyers in 15 jurisdictions in the United States, Europe, and Asia. By channeling their experience through a single point of contact, they give you the benefit of consistently high standards of service and a unified strategic approach when dealing with cross-border disputes.
Our lawyers have built up significant experience in a wide range of industries, including life sciences, telecommunications, media, electronics, technology, and consumer goods. Through our long history of representation in dozens of tribunals and courts in jurisdictions all over the world, we are exceptionally well-equipped to design and implement multi-jurisdictional enforcement and defensive strategies and to coordinate arguments in parallel proceedings.
Whatever your issue, our lawyers focus on making complex matters intelligible to courts and tribunals. We regularly act in IP courts in the United States, Europe, and Asia, and have represented clients before the U.S. Supreme Court and the European Court of Justice. We have in-depth experience in resolving disputes through arbitration bodies, in particular, at the World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO), and in using procedures for the recuperation of domain names. We also have an extensive practice before the U.S. International Trade Commission (ITC). When appropriate, we value alternative dispute resolution (ADR) methods — arbitration, mediation, neutral case assessment, focus groups, and mock jury trials — to facilitate settlement negotiations and to achieve our client’s objective in the most cost-effective manner.
Awards and Rankings
- Top-tier ranking for Patent Litigation in Germany, Chambers Europe, 2011
- Highly ranked Patent Litigation practice in the United Kingdom, Chambers UK, 2011
- Top-tier ranking for Patent Litigation in Germany, Legal 500 EMEA, 2011
- Top-tier IP litigation ranking in China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, the Netherlands, Russia, and the United Kingdom by Managing Intellectual Property; ranked in all our other jurisdictions.
- Recognized IP practice for 'Patent Litigation: Hi-tech electronics & IT,' Legal 500 US, 2010