+1 202 637 5683
+1 202 637 5910
Partner, Washington, D.C.
Ray Kurz has practiced exclusively in the intellectual property field over the course of his 30+ year career. His practice covers a broad spectrum of intellectual property matters, including lead counsel roles in complex patent, trademark, and copyright litigation, counseling, and licensing. Ray was lead counsel in the successful defense of a medical device patent case in excess of $1 billion, and has successfully defended and prosecuted patent and trademark cases before numerous U.S. District Courts, the International Trade Commission (ITC) and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit and has been recognized by Legal 500 in numerous areas. Ray has applied his broad based intellectual property knowledge in connection with varied industries including electronics, medical device/bioscience matters, computer software, e-commerce, automotive, online/Internet, and multimedia work and has used his extensive intellectual property expertise in assisting companies in establishing comprehensive intellectual property strategic plans. Ray’s intellectual property licensing practice includes matters ranging from multi-million dollar patent licenses to movie licensing deals.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of a medical device patent case in excess of $1 billion.
- Lead counsel successfully defending Daimler/Mercedes in multiple NPE patent suits including ITC litigation and having cases dismissed or dropped without any payment to NPEs due to successful Markman rulings and other strategic moves.
- Representing a major biotech company in litigation of the validity of the base PCR patent.
- Lead counsel in successful defense of Sun Microsystems in a patent case involving parallel computing.
- Lead counsel in the successful defense of a medical device company in a patent case involving vascular occlusion devices.
- Lead counsel in the successful representation of Dominant Semiconductors in defending a multi-patent case in the ITC avoiding an exclusion order of downstream products.
- Lead counsel representing and successfully resolving an NPE case for Eli Lilly involving object-oriented database software applications.
- Court appointed mediator in the successful mediation of a multi-party Hatch- Waxman litigation.
- Lead appellate counsel representing HemCon in the much talked about appeal in Marine Polymer v. HemCon.
- Lead counsel representing Lockheed Martin in several patent infringement cases, including having one case dismissed at the very start of the case.
- Lead counsel defending a major computer manufacturer in an ITC patent case involving six patents on various aspects of flash memory devices for computers.
- Lead counsel for a major non-profit organization in patent and trade secret litigation involving blood purification technology.
- Lead counsel representing a major pharmaceutical company in litigation against generic pharmaceutical companies concerning a method for treating the effects of kidney dialysis.
- Representing a major biotechnology company in negotiating agreements with NIH concerning immortalized cell lines.
Ray serves as a Committee Member of the Advanced Patent Law Institute, which is comprised of a unique fellowship of senior USPTO officials, leading academics, practitioners, and members of the judiciary.
TRADEMARK AND COPYRIGHT
- Lead counsel representing Kimberly-Clark Corporation in connection with their highly successful Color Purple trademark enforcement efforts including successful enforcement in District Court and the International Trade Commission (ITC).
- Lead counsel representing Red Bull in numerous trademark, unfair competition, and copyright litigations including successful enforcement in numerous federal court litigations and in the ITC. Many of these cases involved color mark claims. We also handled a complex parallel imports case for Red Bull and obtained a $2.1 million payment to Red Bull.
- Lead counsel representing the Smurf Rights Holders in numerous trademark and copyright matters over the last 25 years including negotiating a major motion picture deal on their behalf as well as various trademark and copyright litigation/enforcement matters.
- Lead trademark counsel in successfully representing the American Red Cross in its epic battle with Johnson & Johnson regarding the use of the Red Cross emblem.
- Lead counsel representing Ferrero, the makers of TIC TAC candies and ROCHER chocolates, for over 30 years in numerous trademark and trade dress litigations, involving Tic Tac, Rocher and other famous marks.
- Lead counsel representing Sun Microsystems, Inc. in a trademark/copyright anti-counterfeiting case resulting in a favorable settlement.
- Lead Counsel Representing Pemex, the Mexican national petroleum company in the successful defense of its PEMEX trademark.
Ray writes and speaks frequently on intellectual property issues and he is the principal author and editor of the book Internet and the Law: Legal Fundamentals for the Internet User.
Hogan Lovells Publications
15 April 2013
"Intellectual Property Newsletter - April 2013." IP Alert, Hogan Lovells
14 January 2011
"Intellectual Property Newsletter - January 2011." IP Alert, Hogan Lovells
11 December 2008
"New IP Law Creates Cabinet-Level IP Enforcement Coordinator." International Trade & Intellectual Property Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
04 December 2008
"Are My Patents Still Valid? A Client’s Guide to Understanding Ex parte Bilski." IP Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
01 June 2006
"A New Weapon in the Fight Against Counterfeiting: Using the United States International Trade Commission as a Forum to Combat Counterfeiting and Other Intellectual Property Violations." IP Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
01 April 2003
"The U.S. Accession to the Madrid Protocol." IP Update, Hogan & Hartson LLP
"Smurfs' Lawyers Review IP and Contract Issues in Movie Deal." BNA International: World Intellectual Property Report, The Bureau of National Affairs, Inc.
01 October 2010
"Best Practices for Preventing Sales of Gray Market Goods in the United States." INTA Bulletin, Vol. 65, No. 17, International Trademark Association
"New IP Law Creating Cabinet-Level IP Enforcement Coordinator Signals Enhanced Focus on Combating Counterfeit Goods." Intellectual Property & Technology Law Journal, Aspen Publishers