+33 1 53 67 47 47
+33 1 53 67 47 48
Carmen is a partner in Hogan Lovells' International Arbitration group in Paris. She specialises in international commercial and investment arbitration with a particular emphasis in Europe, Latin America and Africa.
She regularly acts on large-scale and complex arbitrations on behalf of industrial groups and States in relation to infrastructure projects, energy and telecommunications under the arbitration rules of the ICC, LCIA and ICSID, among others.
With more than 25 years of experience in this field, she has acted on more than 100 international arbitrations and has been appointed as president or party-appointed arbitrator in more than a dozen matters governed by the laws of various jurisdictions.
She is the former President of the French chapter of the Spanish Arbitration Club, a member of the Board of Director of the Spanish Arbitration Club worldwide, a member of the ICC Commission and a member of the Drafting Committee of the ICC Task Force on arbitrations involving States and state entities. She is listed, among others, in the ICC, LCIA and KLRCA roster of arbitrators.
Carmen is dually qualified in Spain and France and speaks Spanish, French, English and Italian fluently.
- Representing a Latin American state in ICSID and UNCITRAL arbitrations by companies in the fertilizer and food industries.
- Representing a French investor in ICSID arbitration against an Eastern European State arising out of tax reforms.
- Advising a Latin America state-owned company in arbitration proceedings against a US infrastructure company in relation to the construction of a hydrocarbon plant.
- Advising a Mexican state-related entity in relation to the freezing of its assets in a European country.
- Representing a North African sovereign wealth fund in ICC arbitration proceedings in relation to several of its investments in Africa.
- Representing a major state-owned company in an OHADA arbitration case relating to the nationalisation of assets in an African State.
- Assisting a French multinational company in pre-arbitration proceedings against a North America company regarding a contract for the supply of equipment for an aluminium plant.
- Acting as President and co-arbitrator (nominated by the party) in several arbitrations relating to post-acquisition disputes. Acting as well as co-arbitrator in several construction dispute cases.
Hogan Lovells Publications
"Global Media and Communications Quarterly."
"Our International Arbitration experience in Africa."
"Our International Disputes experience in Africa."