Hogan Lovells is one of a small number of leading law firms with the technical knowledge and hands-on experience to protect client interests in aviation-related matters worldwide. Our aviation team and its partners regularly receive first-tier rankings from Chambers USA
, which notes that we "couple regulatory expertise with a strong litigation offering." We are also known for strong cross-border and asset finance work in global markets, earning praise from The Legal 500
for "clarity of thought, a solutions-driven approach and exceptionally talented partners."
Clients benefit from our lawyers' experience in public service, which include positions as U.S. Under Secretary and Assistant Secretary of Transportation, Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Transportation Affairs (and chief U.S. aviation negotiator), and Chief Counsel of the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA). In addition, we team with lawyers from the firm's network of more than 40 offices worldwide to address a broad range of legal issues, including antitrust, corporate and finance, environmental, tax, litigation, and lobbying matters.
Awards and Rankings
Former Leadership Positions
- Aviation regulatory practice ranked in the first tier, Chambers USA (2007–2011)
- Highly ranked aviation litigation practice, Chambers USA (2009-2011)
- Top-tier aviation finance practice, Chambers UK (2009-2011)
- Top-tier commercial aviation practice, Chambers Europe (2009-2011)
- Top-tier aviation practice, Legal UK 500 (2008-2011)
- Top-tier aviation practice, Legal EMEA 500 (2008-2011)
- George Carneal, former General Counsel of the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and Special Assistant to the Secretary of Transportation
- E. Tazewell Ellett, former Chief Counsel of the FAA, Special Counsel to the FAA Administrator; Special Assistant to a member of the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board
- Jeff Shane, former Under Secretary for Policy and Assistant Secretary for Policy and International Affairs at the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT); former Deputy Assistant Secretary of State for Transportation Affairs
- Robert Cohn, Executive Assistant to three Civil Aeronautics Board (CAB) members, including the Chairman and Vice Chairperson of the CAB