, Washington, D.C.
, Washington, D.C.
Hogan Lovells is the original home base of the Appellate practice in U.S. Courts — one first established by our renowned colleague E. Barrett Prettyman Jr., led for years by our former partner Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., and currently populated with lawyers across the firm's offices, many of whom learned their craft working with the Chief Justice and who have received national recognition in this unique field.
The firm's Appellate practice reach is national. Its focus cuts across all areas of the firm's regulatory and litigation client base. In recent years the Appellate group has handled, among many other matters, briefing and argument in Supreme Court merits cases; major appeals for energy companies in the gas, electric, and nuclear industries involving rates, tariffs, contractual remedies against the government, and environmental issues; multiple complex federal and state insurance, commercial, contract, tort, and white collar appeals; patent appeals in the Federal Circuit and patent amicus briefs in the Supreme Court; and amicus briefs in high-stakes Supreme Court matters for industry groups. We have defended and won major money judgments for clients; obtained important rulings in constitutional, insurance, government contracts, and administrative procedure cases; and, through our Community Services Department, maintained a robust Supreme Court and appellate presence for pro bono clients as well.
Awards and Rankings
Our lawyers have been recognized in the following legal directories and publications:
- Appellate Hot List, The National Law Journal (2010-2013)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2009, 2010)
- Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers, Appellate (2008–2010)
- "Top 40 Under 40," The National Law Journal (2009)
- "Fab Fifty" Litigator, The American Lawyer (2007)
- Appellate and Supreme Court Litigation, Legal 500 US (2007)
- "Top 40 Under 40," Washingtonian (2006)
- Patents: Appeals, Legal 500 US (2007)